Liquid cooling. Need help!!

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Ok I am a total n00b in LC. So I was thinking about getting the Thermaltake Kandalf LCS Case that has a pump, radiator, tubing, coolant, and a CPU block. Is it a good value? How about the armor LCS? So what would be better me buying a case then water cooling it, or going and getting the set. I would not like to spend over $300 on the case+ LCS. If putting together my set is a better deal, can you recommend some stuff.

My future specs
Case= You tell me :sol:

CPU= Q6600

HDD= Raptor 150gb

Graphics Card= EVGA 8800 GTX

PSU= OCZ gamextreme 700W, or anyone elses recommendation

MOBO= Abit IP35 Pro

Moniter= 22 inch SAMSUNG 226bw, I think...

RAM= 4x1gb crucial ballistix DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 (Maybe tracers)

DVD drive= Some cheap drive (I dont really care as long as it is SATA and quiet

Thank you for reading my life story and thank you for posting :bounce:

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Get two, 2 gig sticks ram instead of four 1gig's, costs more but better for OC and expansion.

Consider buying a case and building the Water system separate.... Cost more but it will function better. Antec 900 has a lot of room in there for water but it weighs a ton...

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
What you will find out (after being involved in watercooling for a bit) is that the various parts involved (waterblocks, rads, pumps, reservoirs, etc) are varied and plentiful. This means, ultimately, that you will move into the D.I.Y. (Do It Yourself) category and won't like being tied down to one set of components or company. That being said, I am quite sure that what comes with those cases as a "built-in" cooling loop would be adequate along some level - you will, eventually, see that you want to "change this" or "change that" but you might be restricted due to what the case itself used.

Like grieve mentioned above, I would advocate getting the case and the water cooling compnents seperate from each other.

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Well I kind of don't have a lot of money to use on the LCS that is why I was asking if the case was a good value. And I am a n00b and won't really go crazy with the LC. The only things I could think of adding is a VGA cooler and NB cooler.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
You have budgeted only $300 for the case and the Water Cooling system? Also are you very good with Modding tools? IE a Dremel and stuff like that? Also what do you want more, a nice looking case, or a good performing water cooler?

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
1) Yes my budget is low for the LCS and case I know.

2) I am personally am not very good, but a few workers in my dad's shop could do some drilling or w/e

3) I probably want a better performing water cooler then a cool looking one, but I still want it to look kinda cool!

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
It will get you started for sure. All of the water cooling component are sub par. Upgrading the radiator by far worst component would be difficult because of the dimensions. On the other-hand if you just plan on cooling the CPU I think you'll be fine. Cooling that 8800 GTX will raise temp considerably.

My guess is you'll be very happy with it as it's a turn key solution that will blow the doors off any air cooling solution. I personally would pass because my expectation are different.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
"anyways a good GTX cooler costs what $100? "

Not true those all in one cooler pretty much suck they have way to much restriction which means you need a more powerful pump. That more powerful pump will dumb more heat into the loop. Just cool the GPU and use ram sinks. Despite what most believe ram and chipsets don't show significant performance gains unless dropped well below ambient temps. We're talking 5% max by adding liquid cooling. In the process you kill your flow rate and add more heat to the loop. It is best to focus on where you get the most benefit. Like many things you start hitting a point of diminishing returns. In order to overcome those hurdles you would have to spend big $$$. That would exceed the cost of going to a QE based processor in first place which defeats the purpose.

I think you're taking the right approach here. There are lot of products out there most are hype. That's not to say the don't help and add bling to your setup, but the gain for many are small.

If you want to read up on water cooling you can go here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54331

Trust me though by time you out grow that setup you'll know what you want and it will be time for an upgrade.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Yes, I think it meet your needs and your experience level. Read the article and decide for yourself. There are also some reviews on those cases that are pretty favorable. It's really all about expectations. You will get better than air performance but good custom build will be much better and unless you've got mad skills far less elegant and more costly.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I would go with a regular TT armor, and buy your own watercooling kit. TT LCS brands are good starter kits, but won't hold up too well. Try this instead:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoli.html

Total cost is around 300-320 bucks. It's a little over the budget you were asking for, but its well worth it. Otherwise, the Kandalf LCS is a good beginners kit from what I have heard.

As powersupply wise, I'd go with the OCZ 700w. Tier 2 powersupply and has very high ratings.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
It'll last longer if anything. Thermaltake Bigwaters have a higher chance of corroding or breaking than other kits. Plus, this kit is by Petrastechshop. Highly reputed for their watercooling products.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
what i did was get a thermaltake kandalf lcs and initially only changed the block, but later on i also switched my pump + vior too, this gives the the sleek look of a built-in radiator but also the performance i need, the Kandalf LCS is a tid bit better i personally think because it goes together better, if i were you, i would get the thermaltake kandalf lcs and a good water block, but make sure it isn't too restrictive, then later on when you have more money/time/experience you can upgrade your pump and resviour

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
If $300 is your budget and you really want to get WC (especially if it's only for the cool factor) then just get either the armor or the kandolf LCS. You can always upgrade later but it's just a lilttle harder not impossible.

If you are serious into OC'ing then get a regular full size case and a couple of WC components now, save up get the rest later and DIY.

You make it sound like you have to do it all right now... I would build your system initially on air cooling anyway until it's stable. Trouble shooting hardware problems with WC in the way sucks.

antonwalker

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
The thing is I dont want to spend more money on my computer after I make my purchase. I am only 13 and do not have a steady income so I dont know when I will be able to upgrade. I work for my dad to make my money, but it is in Hollywood and I live 30 minutes away so I can't work on school days, I only can work in the summer. I have already been working 6 days a week from the beggenning of summer and would like to after I buy my computer just do fun stuff with my friends.

So my main ? is what will be better performance for the money? Kandalf LCS or normal Armor Case with my own custum WC setup?

BTW I am very thankful for all the responses!

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
a normal armour case is ?$200 and a good DIY kit for WC is ?$300, that is ?$500, however, the kandalf lcs is $300 flat, it is $200 usd cheaper, but offers performance about 10% behind, i say, for price: performance, the kandalf lcs wins hands down