Logitech Mediaplay Wireless mouse stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

subaru

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
The mouse movement went choppy for a few seconds, and stopped working once and for all.

I've tried everything from pushing the reset button, reconnecting the USB, replacing batteries, to restarting windows 7. Nothing works. It has been working for the last 6 years without problem!

When I press the buttons on the mouse, it still lights up. It's just that all the bottons are non-responsive, and the cursor is not moving.
When I check the Setpoint software, it still detected the mouse no problem.

Any clue?

Solution
Here's the fix...No Joke! I had the same problem where it went dead, and I also have 2 of these, except I bought them in 2007. (Yes, 20andfreakin07) its almost 2016. I have been using these for 8 years. Make sure the batteries are fresh, and turn the mouse on. Then plug the receiver into your computer and take a paperclip and push in the reset button on the receiver. (hold the receiver from the bottom when resetting so you dont damage the receiver or usb port when pressing down.) And holy crap it worked!!!!!! I almost cried.

subaru

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Thank you for your advice, WildCard999. I couldn't update the firmware through the Setpoint software, so I tried to do this via control panel. The firmware seems to be updated.

Setpoint is still detecting the mouse and its battery level without problem, but the cursor is still not moving, and the buttons (play, volume etc) are also non-responsive. :(

WildCard999

Titan

I wonder if the sensor on the bottom of the mouse is defective, was there a light underneath it before and if so is it currently on?

subaru

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

Yes the light of the sensor is on. The mouse also lights up when I press the buttons. Still can't get to back to live. :(
In fact, this is the second logitech mediaplay mouse that died on me this way within these 2 years (I bought two).

WildCard999

Titan
Have you tried the logitech mouse on a different computer? If it works then there has to be a software issue, if not then the mouse (sensor,buttons,firmware) is probably dead/defective. If your still within warranty it wouldn't hurt to try to call Logitech and see if you can get a replacement.

techboy1980

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
Here's the fix...No Joke! I had the same problem where it went dead, and I also have 2 of these, except I bought them in 2007. (Yes, 20andfreakin07) its almost 2016. I have been using these for 8 years. Make sure the batteries are fresh, and turn the mouse on. Then plug the receiver into your computer and take a paperclip and push in the reset button on the receiver. (hold the receiver from the bottom when resetting so you dont damage the receiver or usb port when pressing down.) And holy crap it worked!!!!!! I almost cried.

Solution

BeSolo75

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015

@techboy1980 HOLY... I spent hours reading forums. I could not believe this would be the solution. I love the mediaplay mouse. I still can't believe nobody tells about the reset button on the receiver. I did not even see it in 10 years. :) tahnks a zillion.

Dec 6, 2019

I joined this site just to thank you. I have five of these mice, and four were unusable. I didn't even realize that the dot on the receiver was a reset button. But after clicking it, each of my dead mice came back to life. It's sad that no manufacturer makes a mouse anything clse to as good as the MediaPlay mouse, but I'm happy that I've revived my collection of them. Hopefully they'll last another 15 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.