[SOLVED] Looking for tips regarding choosing monitor for my PC

May 2, 2020
Hello fellow hardware enthusiasts,

I am on a wonderful journey of choosing a new monitor for my lovely rig. Right now I have an Acer X233H, which is 24" 16:9 60 Hz 1080p monitor from 2005. It has TN panel, and I use VGA to HDMI adapter for it.

My rig specs are as follows:
CPU: i7-3770
GPU: Asus Dual GTX 1070
I also have 16Gb RAM and an SSD, if that information is important.

I am currently considering getting a 27" 144Hz 1440p Freesync (G-Sync Compatible) monitor, but I am afraid that my 1070 will not be able to handle it.
My argument is that FreeSync will save the day, when I will get around 80 FPS in AAA, it will look fine with no stutters, and when I play competitive shooters like CS:GO or maybe Overwatch, I will have the full 144 Hz potential.

Can you guys please confirm if that will be the case?

Should I perhaps stick to 27" 1080p, or will the pixel density be awful?
Or maybe should I perhaps stick to 60Hz and go 1440p?

I have never seen neither 1440p nor 144Hz in real life, so I don't really know what would be more beneficial.
Looking forward to all advices you guys can give me.

Solution
The system should work fine with a 1440P/144hz Freesync (Gsync compatible) monitor however you will need to lower the settings quite a bit for that higher refresh rate but it will depend on the game(s). Since monitors are typically the least upgraded component the monitor would be good for future system upgrades and should last while before needing to be upgraded. When choosing a monitor try to find the Freesync range, usually with 144 it's 48-144 but the lower value could be higher (smaller range). Note also that it requires that the monitor supports DisplayPort.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

For FPS such as CSGO & Overwatch going from 60hz to 144hz should be quite...

WildCard999

Titan
The system should work fine with a 1440P/144hz Freesync (Gsync compatible) monitor however you will need to lower the settings quite a bit for that higher refresh rate but it will depend on the game(s). Since monitors are typically the least upgraded component the monitor would be good for future system upgrades and should last while before needing to be upgraded. When choosing a monitor try to find the Freesync range, usually with 144 it's 48-144 but the lower value could be higher (smaller range). Note also that it requires that the monitor supports DisplayPort.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

For FPS such as CSGO & Overwatch going from 60hz to 144hz should be quite noticeable. I would look at VA or IPS monitors as the colors are much better then TN monitors.

Solution
May 2, 2020

For FPS such as CSGO & Overwatch going from 60hz to 144hz should be quite noticeable. I would look at VA or IPS monitors as the colors are much better then TN monitors.

Thank you for the swift reply!

I also have one more concern - if for some reason the game runs awful on 1440p resolution, will lowering it to 1080p (but still using 1440p monitor) look any worse than using 1080p native? I tried searching the web for maybe some comparison screenshots, but was unable to find anything that would satisfy me.

WildCard999

Titan
Thank you for the swift reply!

I also have one more concern - if for some reason the game runs awful on 1440p resolution, will lowering it to 1080p (but still using 1440p monitor) look any worse than using 1080p native? I tried searching the web for maybe some comparison screenshots, but was unable to find anything that would satisfy me.
It may look slightly blurrier however for CSGO & Overwatch you should be able to run those at 1440P on lower settings, just tweak them to get the desirable FPS.

May 2, 2020
It may look slightly blurrier however for CSGO & Overwatch you should be able to run those at 1440P on lower settings, just tweak them to get the desirable FPS.
Let me expand list of games I play, since the two I mentioned are not really the ones I most play.

Currently I am playing The Elder Scrolls Online a lot. I also love me some Escape from Tarkov, SW: Battlefront 2, World of Tanks, War Thunder, occasionally some single-player games, e.g. Tomb Raider series. Then again, I also play CS:GO, Overwatch, a bit of Valorant. Looking for a middle ground for different types of games.

WildCard999

Titan
So you could utilize Nvidia DSR to run your games at a higher then native resolution which could give you a idea of the performance at 1440P. As for curved I don't think it makes much of a difference for smaller 16:9 monitors but it would be better for 21:9 or 32:9 monitors.