Feb 24, 2019
Hi,
My specs are, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080, 16gb memory, AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor, and my mother board is the MSI B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard. I play rust occasionally and the game has become unplayable getting around 40 fps and crashing multiple times a day even when its overclocked. It could just be my cpu is pretty bad but id love to ask you guys for help. Also, my pc i built myself and it was my first build so i could have messed something up.
Thanks!

Jun 15, 2019
Have you tried other games and if so, how many frames do you get? I recently built my first pc (a week ago) and I’m averaging around 117 fps in CSGO even though I should at least be getting 200. On Fortnite I get more than 200 FPS most of the time and on overwatch it’s usually more than 130 FPS. So check other games and if you get good fps then it’s the game’s fault. Also you should look up rust’s minimum required specs and if you don’t recognize the specs than look them up and see if they’re better than yours or not and if so than you better upgrade. Hope this helped!

Feb 24, 2019
Have you tried other games and if so, how many frames do you get? I recently built my first pc (a week ago) and I’m averaging around 117 fps in CSGO even though I should at least be getting 200. On Fortnite I get more than 200 FPS most of the time and on overwatch it’s usually more than 130 FPS. So check other games and if you get good fps then it’s the game’s fault. Also you should look up rust’s minimum required specs and if you don’t recognize the specs than look them up and see if they’re better than yours or not and if so than you better upgrade. Hope this helped!
Hi,
It mostly happens in all games but has the biggest impact in rust.
Thanks for responding.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
It's not your CPU
Hi,
My specs are, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080, 16gb memory, AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor, and my mother board is the MSI B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard. I play rust occasionally and the game has become unplayable getting around 40 fps and crashing multiple times a day even when its overclocked. It could just be my cpu is pretty bad but id love to ask you guys for help. Also, my pc i built myself and it was my first build so i could have messed something up.
Thanks!

Check your Temps? Are you good?
Check your BIOS, Is it updated to the latest?
Check your GPU Drivers "Manually", Are they updated to the latest Stable set?
Check your RAM are you in Dual Channel and reading the correct speeds?
You say "Now I get" So at one point you are implying that the game ran fine? That would mean Reinstall or you have other conflicting software.
Power Supply, is it of a decent quality and rated well above your usage?

Without an overlay, using the built-in command to show FPS monitor what you get with the following settings.
  • F1 and go to the console screen.
  • Type “perf 1” (without the quotes). for FPS
  • Type “perf 2” (without the quotes). for FPS and Memory usage.
Graphics
  • Depth of Field - OFF
  • Ambient Occlusion - OFF
  • Anti-Aliasing - OFF
  • High Quality Bloom - OFF
  • Lens Dirt - OFF
  • Motion Blur - OFF
  • Sun Shafts - OFF
  • Sharpen - ON
  • Vignet - OFF
  • Graphics Quality - 1
  • Large Scale Occlusion - OFF
  • Grass Displacement - ON
  • Shadow Cascades - No Cascades
  • Water Quality - 0
  • Water Reflections - 0
  • Max Shadow Lights - 0
  • Shader Level - 100
  • Draw Distance - 1000 (1500 when in PvP for Roof Camping) Do not go below 1000.
  • Shadow Distance - 100
  • Anisotropic Filtering - 1
  • Parallax Mapping - 0
Performance
  • Max Gibs - 0
  • Particle Quality - 0
  • Object Quality - 25
  • Tree Quality - 25
  • Terrain Quality - 25
  • Grass Quality - 30
  • Decor Quality - 0

Feb 24, 2019
It's not your CPU

You say "Now I get" So at one point you are implying that the game ran fine? That would mean Reinstall or you have other conflicting software.

Without an overlay, using the built-in command to show FPS monitor what you get with the following settings.
Graphics
  • Depth of Field - OFF
  • Anti-Aliasing - OFF
  • Lens Dirt - OFF
  • Motion Blur - OFF
  • Sun Shafts - OFF
  • Sharpen - ON
  • Vignet - OFF
  • Graphics Quality - 1
  • Water Quality - 0
  • Water Reflections - 0
  • Max Shadow Lights - 0
  • Shader Level - 100
  • Draw Distance - 1000 (1500 when in PvP for Roof Camping) Do not go below 1000.
  • Shadow Distance - 100
  • Parallax Mapping - 0
Performance
  • Max Gibs - 0
  • Particle Quality - 0
  • Object Quality - 25
  • Tree Quality - 25
  • Terrain Quality - 25
  • Grass Quality - 30
  • Decor Quality - 0
It's not your CPU

Graphics
  • Depth of Field - OFF
  • Anti-Aliasing - OFF
  • Lens Dirt - OFF
  • Motion Blur - OFF
  • Sun Shafts - OFF
  • Sharpen - ON
  • Vignet - OFF
  • Graphics Quality - 1
  • Water Quality - 0
  • Water Reflections - 0
  • Max Shadow Lights - 0
  • Shader Level - 100
  • Shadow Distance - 100
  • Parallax Mapping - 0
Performance
  • Max Gibs - 0
  • Particle Quality - 0
  • Object Quality - 25
  • Tree Quality - 25
  • Terrain Quality - 25
  • Grass Quality - 30
  • Decor Quality - 0
My temps while playing rust with your settings were... MIN of 53 degrees Celsius and a MAX of 55 degrees Celsius. Woah this seems hot..
For my BIOS, Im not sure how to check the updates on that? For the ram, it is in fact in dual channel. How do i check if its running the correct speeds? I tried your settings and got a max fps off 66 looking directly at the ground, and average of around 53, and a minimum or 46. The memory stayed around 17 m.s. but reached of max of around 30.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
My temps while playing rust with your settings were... MIN of 53 degrees Celsius and a MAX of 55 degrees Celsius. Woah this seems hot..
For my BIOS, Im not sure how to check the updates on that? For the ram, it is in fact in dual channel. How do i check if its running the correct speeds? I tried your settings and got a max fps off 66 looking directly at the ground, and average of around 53, and a minimum or 46. The memory stayed around 17 m.s. but reached of max of around 30.

You can read the BIOS revision level in many different ways.

1. Speccy
  2. MSI Command Center.
  3. After Burner
  4. MSINFO32 from Windows
  5. From CMD by typing wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion
  6. Boot to BIOS " Look for the Hit " insert Name key" For MSI it is normally DELETE or F2. Just mash that key from the time you reboot.

It's best to get into your BIOS and get all your Info there. BIOS Revision level, Memory Speed and whether you are in Dual or Single channel.

RUST is not optimized for RYZEN so you will never get what you expect to see when you compare it to the FPS of other games.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
You are pairing a ryzen 5 with a 1080ti? it could be your CPU is acting like a bottleneck there if you ask me.
Use CPUID, best one to monitor CPU/GPU temps and usage.
Also voltages.
And 53 C on a GPU is not hot at all, you should be greatful for such temps.
Some GPU's could reach up to 81C, my 2060 reaches 75C while gaming in a cold room.

Feb 24, 2019
You are pairing a ryzen 5 with a 1080ti? it could be your CPU is acting like a bottleneck there if you ask me.
Use CPUID, best one to monitor CPU/GPU temps and usage.
Also voltages.
And 53 C on a GPU is not hot at all, you should be greatful for such temps.
Some GPU's could reach up to 81C, my 2060 reaches 75C while gaming in a cold room.
Hi,
Which cpu would you recommend i upgrade too in order to stop the bottlenecking?