[SOLVED] Low frames with low GPU and CPU (%) usage, but high Memory (%) usage

Apr 5, 2022
Hello,

Recently installed Elden Ring, and found my ever-growing nightmare has stepped up a level.
The past couple of years I've had my build, it's gotten less and less fps with every new title I play. I've tried many fixes (apart from new RAM - I'll get to that). However I feel as though my build is adequate for it's use.
Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor, 3.40 GHz
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, 8GB
RAM: T-Force Nighthawk DDR4-3000 CL16, 16GB (2x8GB)

Storage is okay (SSD + HDD) and cooling seems ok but I don't know enough about cooling to offer any indication of fault.

As I'm writing this (no major programs running, just one-tab Firefox and discord) my processes are sitting at around:
CPU 6%
Memory 41%
GPU
0%
(Disk 0%)
(Network 0%)

But in-game (Elden Ring for this example) I easily get to this:
CPU 51%
Memory
80%
GPU 70% but then may drop to 12% and completely halt and game will freeze.
(Disk 1%)
(Network 0%)

With about 30-50fps (similar to a lot of newer games)

I'm at a loss of what to do - I get the idea I may need more RAM, (but I was always told 16GB was enough) however the RAM I currently have installed is no longer in-stock anywhere, with no indication of re-stock. So I should either install 2 more sticks of RAM with the same specs, or completely switch out my RAM for another better one?

Open to any suggestions :)
Thank you.

Solution
80% memory usage is still green zone, there should be no problems with that. What I suspect is CPU causing this bottleneck. 51% is total usage of all threads while game surely uses just few of the threads to 100%. And when CPU hits 100% GPU can have sudden drops of usage causing freezes. Add to that elden ring is not yet well optimized and you have whole picture.
80% memory usage is still green zone, there should be no problems with that. What I suspect is CPU causing this bottleneck. 51% is total usage of all threads while game surely uses just few of the threads to 100%. And when CPU hits 100% GPU can have sudden drops of usage causing freezes. Add to that elden ring is not yet well optimized and you have whole picture.

Solution