Question Low GPU/High CPU usage with Read Dead Redemption 2 ?

Cory Compton

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
Hi everyone,

While playing certain games like Red Dead Redemption 2, I'm using close to 100% of my CPU and hardly any of my GPU, even though the game is 'supposedly' GPU intensive. The game plays fine, but I fear that putting such a huge strain on my CPU will damage it in the long run. Is there anything I can do to put less strain on my CPU and have my GPU share more of the workload?

View: https://imgur.com/smPWjUy

My specs:

Nvidia GTX 1650 Super GPU
Intel Core i5-10400F CPU
WD Black SN750 1 TB NVMe SSD
16 GB RAM

Cory Compton

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
My monitor is only 60hz and I limit my refresh rate to 50hz with VSync on so that the game's fps stays at a constant 50. Helps keep the fps more stable since my GPU and CPU aren't very powerful. These are my graphics settings:
  • Texture quality: Ultra
  • Anisotropic filtering: X16
  • Lighting quality: High
  • Global illumination quality: Medium
  • Shadow quality: High
  • Far shadow quality: Medium
  • SSAO: Medium
  • Reflection quality: Low
  • Mirror quality: Ultra
  • Tessellation: High
  • TAA: High
  • FXAA/MSAA: Off
  • Graphics API: Vulkan
  • Near volumetric resolution: Low
  • Far volumetric resolution: Ultra
  • Volumetric lighting quality: Medium
  • Unlocked volumetric raymarch resolution: Off
  • Particle lighting quality: Medium
  • Soft shadows: High
  • Grass shadows: Medium
  • Long shadows: Off
  • Full resolution SSAO: Off
  • Water Refraction quality: High
  • Water reflection quality: Medium
  • Water physics: 1/6
  • TAA sharpening: Off
  • Motion blur: On
  • Geometry level of detail: Max
  • Grass level of detail: Medium
  • Tree quality: Medium
  • Parallax Occlusion Mapping Quality: Medium
  • Decal/Fur quality: High
  • Tree tessellation: On

Cory Compton

Prominent
Aug 11, 2021
Resolution is full screen at 1080p. I would rather avoid messing with my settings too much because it took significant tweaking to get it at the right balance between fps and visual quality. Is there anything else I could do?

Resolution is full screen at 1080p. I would rather avoid messing with my settings too much because it took significant tweaking to get it at the right balance between fps and visual quality. Is there anything else I could do?
The gpu usage is a result of V-Sync and the game settings. To increase gpu utilisation you need to increase either the game settings or remove v-sync. Most game settings don’t impact cpu usage, this game is very cpu heavy. As you have low gpu utilisation you should be able to increase some settings keeping v-sync and have no impact on performance.