[SOLVED] Low Write speed on 970 Evo M.2 NVMe

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
Hey everyone

I got my Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe (3.0 gen) about a month ago
it perform really good with everything, boot time, everything except the speed is SLOW on moving/copying files between the same SSD disks.
I see the moving files speed window goes to 500MB/sec on average, it don't reach a gig.

Where does it get slow?
it gets slow on Write speeds, here is my bench results:
R7EQroA.png

That is on a 16GB test 5 times,

When I increased the size to 32GB and 9 tests here's it:
osqNtAD.png

After the test done:
ntTvulR.png

that Write speed is broken or something,

Note: when I installed the M.2 I didn't make any changes on bios or anything, all I did is installing Samsung Magician and doing nothing but a benchmark there.
My rig is a B450 Aorus Pro, R5 3600, 16GB 3600Mhz RAM.
uAH7LVn.png

I really don't know what to do about this, and is the temperature normal?

Thanks for any help..

Solution
So when its reading and writing at the same time, speed gets low?
That's really sad because imagine those speeds getting to this level like 500MB/s?

still are you sure about that reading speed getting so low on high size while the reading is just fine?
The drive is trying to do two things, to itself, at the same time.
Reading and writing.

Yes, the displayed performance is quite a bit lower than only doing one of those functions.
Hey everyone

I got my Samsung 970 Evo 500GB M.2 NVMe (3.0 gen) about a month ago
it perform really good with everything, boot time, everything except the speed is SLOW on moving/copying files between the same SSD disks.
I see the moving files speed window goes to 500MB/sec on average, it don't reach a gig.

Where does it get slow?
it gets slow on Write speeds, here is my bench results:
R7EQroA.png

That is on a 16GB test 5 times,

When I increased the size to 32GB and 9 tests here's it:
osqNtAD.png

After the test done:
ntTvulR.png

that Write speed is broken or something,

Note: when I installed the M.2 I didn't make any changes on bios or anything, all I did is installing Samsung Magician and doing nothing but a benchmark there.
My rig is a B450 Aorus Pro, R5 3600, 16GB 3600Mhz RAM.
uAH7LVn.png

I really don't know what to do about this, and is the temperature normal?

Thanks for any help..
It's normal for a disk to slow down (specially writing) when file size is larger than disk's cache.
Some things to make sure of that SSD has enough free space (75-80% full).
Install newest Samsung SSD drivers (you can find them at Samsung site).
Install newest chipset drivers for your MB.
Run disk Optimization (Trim) at some intervals (windows does it once a month but there have been some problems with that in latest versions).

Crystal Disk Mark is not geared for SSDs very good, Use and trust Samsung magician and/or AS SSD benchmark https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/as-ssd-benchmark.html for cross reference.

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
It's normal for a disk to slow down (specially writing) when file size is larger than disk's cache.
Some things to make sure of that SSD has enough free space (75-80% full).
Install newest Samsung SSD drivers (you can find them at Samsung site).
Install newest chipset drivers for your MB.
Run disk Optimization (Trim) at some intervals (windows does it once a month but there have been some problems with that in latest versions).

Crystal Disk Mark is not geared for SSDs very good, Use and trust Samsung magician and/or AS SSD benchmark https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/as-ssd-benchmark.html for cross reference.
I did all your suggestions, but is this speed really normal?
uhwNdgn.png

I'm moving about 18GB of files between D and C just for the sake of speed test

and the speed is basically 390~600MB/s ... its not right, right?

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
Run CrystalDiskMark again using the default 1GiB size.

What are you moving files to/from when it stayed below 500 MB/s? The operation will only be as fast as the slowest drive involved.
DRYa6gk.png

at the first second start of a file moving I never see a moving speed above 1.6GB/s

When I move files between C,D (both partitions on the same SSD) they just average from 390~600MB/s
uhwNdgn.png

The speed looks about right. You are reading AND writing to the same drive so you are more than doubling the load on the drive's controller. All the synthetic benchmarks are either reading from or writing to the drive - never both at the same time.
Run Samsung's tools to make sure the drive health is still good. Constant benchmarking/testing SSD speeds is bad for their health.

Zuher Laith

Prominent
May 12, 2020
The speed looks about right. You are reading AND writing to the same drive so you are more than doubling the load on the drive's controller. All the synthetic benchmarks are either reading from or writing to the drive - never both at the same time.
Run Samsung's tools to make sure the drive health is still good. Constant benchmarking/testing SSD speeds is bad for their health.
That's really sad because imagine those speeds getting to this level like 500MB/s?

still are you sure about that writing speed getting so low on high size while the reading is just fine?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan

still are you sure about that reading speed getting so low on high size while the reading is just fine?
The drive is trying to do two things, to itself, at the same time.
Reading and writing.

Yes, the displayed performance is quite a bit lower than only doing one of those functions.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS