Question M.2 drive wiggles around in slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikus Graudins

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
So i bought a laptop and realized that the 256Gb of storage it came with is too small for my needs. I decided to buy a 1TB M.2 NVME ssd because i knew that there is one more m.2 slot that i can use. Turns out, the new drive wiggles around in that slot. Its not much, but enough for it to not show up in the bios. Same happens when I tighten the screw. So i decided to use the other slot for this drive, the only difference being that it does not have a standoff for a long drive. As i could not think of any other solutions, it is now just sitting there, withouth a screw and is being held in place by my laptops backplate. Any other solutions would be arecippated.
Laptop - (Lenovo ideapad 3 15')
SSD - Kingston A2000 1TB

( https://ibb.co/VNgYhg9 ) Green shows where the drive should be, and red - where it is.

If it doesn't have a standoff screw hole for the longer 2280 SSD then that SSD really shouldn't go there.

Does the 2.5" drive carriage stay there when the M.2 drive is in place? If so you could try to use some good, thermal double sided tape to adhere it to that. It may not work. It may damage your components somehow. But it's an option.

Mikus Graudins

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
If it doesn't have a standoff screw hole for the longer 2280 SSD then that SSD really shouldn't go there.

Does the 2.5" drive carriage stay there when the M.2 drive is in place? If so you could try to use some good, thermal double sided tape to adhere it to that. It may not work. It may damage your components somehow. But it's an option.
The drive carriage does stay there, but i dont have any thermal double sided tape. Might look into that solution.
But is there any way to tighten the m.2 so it does not wiggle?

Other than just making sure it's pushed all the way into the slot, there's no way to 'tighten' it in the M.2 slot. That slot is just a connector. It's not meant to hold the SSD in place. That's what the standoff screw is for.

You could look into electronics glue/epoxy. Many of them are permanent though - you don't want that. You want the kind that can hold a component in place but can be peeled off. Truthfully, I wouldn't go that route. You have the potential to really mess up your system.

If it were me, I would try non-conductive, thermal double-sided tape first but, bear in mind, you may eventually damage your M.2 slot and SSD if there is any kind of wiggle. The very best option is to not use that M.2 slot for a 2280 M.2 SSD.

The small pcie slot is intended for a wifi card or is perhaps unused.

When you insert the m.2 ssd into the correct slot, it should angle up at perhaps a 20 degree angle.
It is then bent down and secured by a very small screw.
That insures good electrical contact.
Be certain you do not install the ssd upside down.

Mikus Graudins

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
Ok. So i found out, that if place the m.2 in the intended 2280 slot and screw it in just enough so it holds in place, the system detects it. This will probably be the final solution for now. If it starts randomly disconnecting (as im sure it will), Im just going to sell it and buy a sata SSD and place it in the 2.5" drive carriage . The only problem being that the connector cable i would need is not being sold in my country and the only way to get it is trough Amazon, which together with shipping would cost about 50$.
Thanks to everyone who helped :)

The motherboard would cost about 1/3 of the laptop price + the fact that I found an issue while upgrading by my self wont help
Unless they can prove (and the onus is on them to prove it) that swapping memory or the hard drive actually caused the slot to fail they must (at least in the US) cover the fault under warranty. Of course all bets are off if they can show that the slot was damaged due to user error or negligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.