galaxy.calibre

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Hi! I need clarification. Here is my current storage setup. One 2.5" SSD with the OS installed on it and Two HDD's for games and other media. I am planning to buy a Samsung M.2 SSD in a couple of weeks and will plan to use the Data Migration Software. Let's assume that I've already installed the drive on the motherboard and also its respective drivers on Windows. Before starting the clone, should i just leave my two hard drives attached or should i disconnect them prior to the OS Cloning? I'm just trying to avoid any potential issues from coming up when starting to clone my C: drive with other drives connected to the system. What i was thinking is that after the clone is finished, i can then change the boot drive on BIOS and re-attach the hard drives. Please advise!

USAFRet

Titan
For any cloning operation, you should disconnect ALL other drives during the process.

This is a desktop?

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Also, read this regarding going from a SATA drive to an NVMe drive.
https://forum.macrium.com/Topic21731-1.aspx

galaxy.calibre

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
For any cloning operation, you should disconnect ALL other drives during the process.

This is a desktop?

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Also, read this regarding going from a SATA drive to an NVMe drive.
https://forum.macrium.com/Topic21731-1.aspx
However, the new drive is an M.2 nVME SSD which i plug directly onto the motherboard. When cloning, I should only have the old boot drive (256Gb Crucial SSD) and the new drive connected, correct? Then after the cloning process, I remove the SATA cable my old boot drive so Windows will try and boot to the new drive. If all is well, I can verify the BIOS boot order and change it if necessary. Then i can reconnect my other drives and wipe the partitions on my old boot drive and make it a New Simple Volume. Did i get it correctly?

Feb 6, 2019
However, the new drive is an M.2 nVME SSD which i plug directly onto the motherboard. When cloning, I should only have the old boot drive (256Gb Crucial SSD) and the new drive connected, correct? Then after the cloning process, I remove the SATA cable my old boot drive so Windows will try and boot to the new drive. If all is well, I can verify the BIOS boot order and change it if necessary. Then i can reconnect my other drives and wipe the partitions on my old boot drive and make it a New Simple Volume. Did i get it correctly?
Why do you feel the need to have an M.2 Drive? I Understand the need for SPEED AND POWER but will you really feel the difference?

galaxy.calibre

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Why do you feel the need to have an M.2 Drive? I Understand the need for SPEED AND POWER but will you really feel the difference?

Speed and power is one of the reasons, but mainly because I'm moving back to my home country in a few months. Last time i was there on vacation, SSD's are very scarce to find. So i gotta equip my PC with the latest and greatest before moving back. It'll be a while before I come back to Australia. And delivery over there i just don't trust, there's a chance the package won't even arrive :') I'm sure you can understand

USAFRet

Titan
Yes.
And read the last link in my post, regarding going to a new NVMe drive.

Feb 6, 2019
Why do you feel the need to have an M.2 Drive?
I can understand you greatly because there is always a need for speed and power but Windows is a struggle as a previous has mentioned with a link to another page. M.2 Drives are very annoying and sometimes just give up without any reason. 2 of my friends who have bought them for the reason of SPEED AND POWER but they are tricky to work with so keep that in mind. If you know what you are doing go ahead and follow what this other guy is saying because they are POWERFULL. Well for loading my games they are faster anyway i just keep my OS on a 2.5 ssd.