[SOLVED] M.2 Shows up in BIOS and Device Manager, but not Disk Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2021
I recently got a new SSD. It's a Silicone Power 1TB M.2 SSD. I already have a SATA SSD that's been installed since I built the PC. The M.2 shows up in BIOS and Device Manager, but not Disk Manager. I have tried uninstalling the Standard SATA AHCI Controller, moving around my SATA cables for the SSD, and unplugging the SSD while only using the M.2. I also tried looking for new drivers and it's currently up to date. None of that has fixed my problem. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Attached are screenshots of the Device Manager screen and the Disk Manager screen.
Device Manager
Disk Manager

Is the new drive Initialized as a GPT device? An alternative to windows would be to create a usb drive with a linux distro, boot from that and use the gparted app to examine the new drive. You want to make sure its designated as GPT and if you want, you can even partition it there. Then reboot windows and format accordingly.

Dec 27, 2021
Is the new drive Initialized as a GPT device? An alternative to windows would be to create a usb drive with a linux distro, boot from that and use the gparted app to examine the new drive. You want to make sure its designated as GPT and if you want, you can even partition it there. Then reboot windows and format accordingly.
If you're talking about setting it to GPT in disk manager I can't. The drive doesn't show up in my disk manager. As for the usb drive with linux, I'm going to be honest and say I have absolutely no idea how to even go about that. Is there a good tutorial you know of or is it not worth the headache to try and do that myself?

DimkaTsv

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
It's a Silicone Power 1TB M.2 SSD
Strange... Usually if Windows successfully initialize a drive with driver, you will see it's serial number or name, instead of vague "SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD". There is no even size mention. Well... maybe it is it's name though because i just saw similar name in video looking for your problem. There was size mention though on video.
Like, for example, my NVME drives are shown as KINGSTON SKC2500M8500G (500GB KC2500 drive).
So i might as well think that for some reason Windows is not able to initialize your drives, because it literally doesn't know what to do with stuff without correct driver.

If drive IS working for sure though. Yeah, probably Linux troubleshooting is your best choise, because that drive may have been formatted way Windows cannot recognize, like ZFS, EXT4 or some other formats. Windows doesn't understand them. You may try to find specific partition driver for Windows, but as you don't know what format it might have, it will be much less practical

Status
Not open for further replies.