Question M.2 slot on my motherboard stopped working

Jan 4, 2022
The m.2 slot on my motherboard stopped working. It had some visible damage from the out side but it still worked. Until now. I thought no big deal and bought an NVME m.2 ssd to usb 3.0 adapter. But when I plug in the adapter, my drive isn't detected but the adapter it's self is. There is no damage to the ssd itself. I have tried:

Resetting BIOS

Unplugging all drives except for the adapter

Changing BIOS from legacy to UEFI and vice versa

Booting with one ram stick

I don't know what else to do. Please help.

Spects:
Ryzen 5600x
Motherboard: gigabyte ds3h
16gb ram
Radeon powercolor Rx 570
450 watt PSU

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Any hardware or software changes? Any known updates?

This:

"It had some visible damage from the out side "

Are you able to take a couple of photographs that shows the damage? If so, do so, and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

The damage may have originally been slight enough to allow the slot to work.

However subsequent activity, heating, cooling, and vibrations likely led to a final failure.

Apr 9, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Any hardware or software changes? Any known updates?

This:

"It had some visible damage from the out side "

Are you able to take a couple of photographs that shows the damage? If so, do so, and post here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

The damage may have originally been slight enough to allow the slot to work.

However subsequent activity, heating, cooling, and vibrations likely led to a final failure.
If it stopped working in its native slot you thought you could automagically fix a physically broken (by your accounts ) by switching to a usb port lol .. lmao. I smashed my cell phone a day before I got my protective case so I put it in the case and it's still smashed ? What do I do ?