[SOLVED] m2 nvme boot drive / 2m sata storage?

Cooperdude94

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
Hey guys, just got a new piece for the rig.
I bought an M.2 SATA SSD as a storage drive, Link here

and my boot drive is a 960 evo NVME

I installed the WD 1tb, but can't get it to be recognized in disk management or the bios, any ideas?

Its on a Asus Strix z370E board

Thanks guys, build on!

Solution
Which drive is in which port?

Only one m.2 port can take the WD SATA M.2 drive.
The 970 will work in either.

---------------------
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode only)*2
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode)*3
---------------------

Cooperdude94

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
There are no SATA devices connected to any of my headers

I tried posting a gyazo of the disk mgt window, but it wont allow me to post it, "Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator."
It's been awhile and this new toms is changed a lot! :D

Addionally, the NVMe drive is in the m2_1 slot, and I am trying to the sata m2 in the m2_2 slot - incase you refer to the mobo manual.

Last edited:
This is how you post images here. It is very specific and I'd use either Imgur.com or Tinypic.com. The image link MUST end in an image format like .jpg, .png, .gif, etc. It must NOT end in a normal page URL like blahblahblah/oduiru or html, etc.

Cooperdude94

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
Here is the screenshot of the disk management window
nsUSFLs.png

USAFRet

Titan
Which drive is in which port?

Only one m.2 port can take the WD SATA M.2 drive.
The 970 will work in either.

---------------------
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode only)*2
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode)*3
---------------------

Solution
Yeah, I missed the fact that one of those was SATA, because I specifically LOOKED for that on the motherboard storage devices section of the specifications and was actually going to point out in reverse, that some boards don't support PCI M.2 on all slots, but in this case yours does, but does not support SATA on all M.2 slots, so likely this is the exact problem as mentioned.