Making a Bard interesting

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

Hey all,

I have not played that much DND yet, and I convinced one of my friends to
join us in our current game. He never played before, and decided to play a
Bard. I've never been in a game with a bard before and have not a clue what
this character is like. This guy told me that it's somewhat boring to sing
all the time. And at low level's there's really not much you can "sing".
Any tips about what would be a good way to make his character interesting,
so he does not lose interest ;)

Is it worth looking into Song&Silence?

Thanks.

Michel Albert wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have not played that much DND yet, and I convinced one of my friends to
> join us in our current game. He never played before, and decided to play a
> Bard. I've never been in a game with a bard before and have not a clue what
> this character is like. This guy told me that it's somewhat boring to sing
> all the time. And at low level's there's really not much you can "sing".
> Any tips about what would be a good way to make his character interesting,
> so he does not lose interest ;)

There are many different types of bards, in AD&D it's usually a person who do
preform a bit, it can be singing, dancing, reading poems, playing music, make
acrobatics and so on.
In most cases a bard has magical abilties (spell casting), bards do cast their
spells a bit defferently from mages.

- Bard uses an instrument instead of somatic
- Bard sings instead of using normal verbal components

Bards tends to learn a bit of everything, they never get really good at
something, but have the skills to fight, cast magic, have knowlige about
strange things, limited thieving skills and will learn to use preistly scrolls.

An assassin or spy could be bards, as an entertiner has somewhat easy access
to places, as people seems to enjoy to be entertined, with help of little
magic and thieving skills it won't be that difficult to assassinate the lord
or steal the secret documents.

Another could be an "elven fighter mage", who do sing out his spells, kind of
a bladesinger, but not as good, but not as few hitpoints. ;)

Some bards are more like sages, gathering information about mystical things,
maybe for rebuild the mythical flying cities, or maybe for master a dragon.

A good source of extra stuff about bards is the "The Complete Bard's
Handbook", where you will find many kits that makes the bard quite different
from the basic bard.

//Aho

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

I've been thinking into making a sexual based bard, something like an
"erotic performer". But has still not decided if he/she will be a Bard or a
Priest.

Archived from groups: alt.games.adnd (More info?)

In article <39dkagF61mj6rU1@individual.net>,
"Clark Kent" <amunoz@menta.net> wrote:

> I've been thinking into making a sexual based bard, something like an
> "erotic performer". But has still not decided if he/she will be a Bard or a
> Priest.

IMO, a bard/cleric multi-class can be pretty cool (D&D3e)

--
Please take off your shoes before arriving at my in-box.
I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, patronise any business which sends