Question Many different visual problems with different apps and websites, is it my GPU, CPU, or Mobo?

May 1, 2021
How’s it going everyone, I’ll get right to the chase, I know some stuff but not nearly enough. Hence why I am now here.
The issue: I recently “upgraded” my computer going from an old Intel i5 with 16gb of ram and a GTX 970 to an AMD cpu with 64gb of ram and a GTX 1650 Super and am encountering several different visual anomalies.

In chronological order of errors encountered, lets start with the first game I tried, Escape from Tarkov. I encountered Screen Tearing when looking around quickly and then FPS drops when going through certain areas of a map. I played around with both the Nvidia Control panel and game-settings and got it sorted out, I did not think of it too much just because Tarkov is a very “finicky” game and figured the settings may have just been mismatched due to the performance difference going from a 970 to a 1650.

Next, I was watching Hulu, after 15-20 minutes, a gray rectangle would appear in the upper left of the viewer containing blue or purple pixels scattered throughout, it’d only occur for maybe a frame to a second before disappearing, it’d repeat throughout the rest of my viewing. No one on google seems to have the same issue as I spent hours looking for a solution. Occasionally I could refresh the page and it’d play at 480p quality with no rectangle, but anytime it was HD it’d get the rectangle problem. Hardware Acceleration had no effect on the problem whether enabled or disabled.

I would go onto to view things on Amazon to see if their viewer had the same issues, there were no issues I observed while watching.

Next, I was getting screen tearing while watching YouTube videos. I messed with many settings and eventually turned on Vsync in Nvidia Control Panel, did not fix issue, next I turned off the Xbox Bar and capture software. I left Vsync on, and after disabling the Xbox stuff, my problem seemed to be gone. I did eventually test whether hardware acceleration played a role for YouTube or not, for me it did. When I disabled it, the screen tearing returned.

I’ve had no issues viewing videos from my own library (I make YouTube vids, who doesn’t these days. And my videos on my hard drives work fine).

Ironically, I would go on to watch Amazon’s Invincible and towards the very end of the episode, the screen would flicker for a second and then a few moments later again. I exited fullscreen to see if it were because of what was going on in those frames it happened, and it did not occur again while finishing the episode.

I ran the Heaven Benchmark and compared to other 1650 users and overall got a (albeit) lower score than expected, but not significantly lower. I installed not only the Heaven Benchmark but another GPU monitoring software, both showed stable GPU temps and fan use.

I played CoD Modern Warfare, and while I expected more, like not having to play the game on low texture quality, it played fine. I didn’t notice any issues which is strange because I know CoD is a very demanding game.

Even as I type all of this in a word document (because I plan to post this to many forums) I am seeing issues in word now too. As I type, occasionally some characters disappear then re-appear in a blink of an eye after spacing from the word being typed. Then when my typing speed really begins to flow, the screen tears and displays part of the document text below the line I am currently typing on for a second then reverts. And had a line fragment across the page, then reappear only when the words were clicked on by cursor.

I have reinstalled my drivers. Tinkered with all the settings I could find and that other forums recommended. I will note I have yet to swap out my DVI cable for another, It could be a bad cord, bad port on either the GPU or Monitor, I’m not sure. Maybe the GPU isn’t fully seated right, and I didn’t notice? I hope it’s not a hardware issue on my PC because I really cannot afford to invest anything else. I honestly do not know what could be wrong as I am fairly confident I installed everything properly. I truly hope it’s not a bad graphics card or bad mobo.

Specs List: (nothing is overclocked)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 DS3H
GPU: ASUS GTX 1650 Super
RAM: Unknown brand but 4 cards, making 64gb (This PC used to be a server PC my father built a year ago, worked fine then)
PSU: Corsair CX650 M
Monitor: Benq XL2420z

May 1, 2021
after the upgrade did you do a fresh os install?
test with 1 or 2 stick of ram? memory test?
latest motherboard bios
Yes I did a fresh OS install, and tested with all 4 sticks of RAM (not 1 or 2, I guess I should do that). The motherboard bios is not the latest, I was going to update that today to see if it helps.

May 1, 2021
With 4 ram modules, command rate has to be set to 2T. You have 1T currently.
But that unlikely has anything to do with screen tearing.

Try setting Vsync to adaptive in Nvidia Control panel.
I read Adaptive Vsync doesn't help much and to just set it as "On." but again I have no idea what more to do so I will try it. Will update shortly

May 1, 2021
UPDATE: So... no effect with adaptive Vysnc. Still screen tearing on YouTube without hardware acceleration on, then with hardware acceleration on it interferes with other streaming sites like Hulu and Amazon. Word is still spasming.