[SOLVED] Massive FPS Drops In Particular Game

May 2, 2019
Hello, I have been gaming on this rig for a few years. Pretty much all games run smooth at ~140 fps with high settings. However, I just got GTA 5 (relatively not demanding compared to other games i play normally) and I am getting sudden FPS drops from ~130fps to 0-10. These drops happen at no discernible time as I breeze through the benchmark but can get these huge drops in the pause menu or just driving around. The game's settings only increase my avg fps but the 1% low and .1% lows are still below 10 fps. The "ignore limit" option does not affect it and all antialiasing is off. All drivers are up to date. Here is the afterburner monitor on when one of the spikes happened.

Link:
View: https://imgur.com/a/eJk8bCr

Specs:
Ram: 16gb corsair
Motherboard: asus z170s
GPU: GTX 1080
PSU: 750W
CPU: i76700K

Thanks in advance

Solution
If it happens ONLY while playing GTA5, then I'm assuming this issue is game specific, and not hardware related. Though, I'm not fully sure.
Oh this is 100% game specific.
The main thread of this game runs as fast as possible without waiting for the secondary threads to provide it with all the data it needs to keep going so it runs out of data every so often and waits for the other threads to catch up.
You can also fix this by using a FPS limiter or slowing your GPU down enough with high enough settings but you would have to limit the game to the lowest FPS you get so you would loose a lot of performance.

Look at this for a quick fix of the main thread
View...
Okay, that's a pretty decent PSU from EVGA. No worries here. (y)

If it happens ONLY while playing GTA5, then I'm assuming this issue is game specific, and not hardware related. Though, I'm not fully sure. Try playing other graphic demanding games as well, to narrow down this issue. If ALL other games are running fine, then GTA's Engine might be the culprit.

Are you playing the Vanilla version of GTA5, or with some MODs ? Because, some graphical/visual MODs can also affect the overall performance.

May 2, 2019
Okay, that's a pretty decent PSU from EVGA. No worries here. (y)

If it happens ONLY while playing GTA5, then I'm assuming this issue is game specific, and not hardware related. Though, I'm not fully sure. Try playing other graphic demanding games as well, to narrow down this issue. If ALL other games are running fine, then GTA's Engine might be the culprit.

Are you playing the Vanilla version of GTA5, or with some MODs ? Because, some graphical/visual MODs can also affect the overall performance.
No mods at all. I even just ran it at complete minimum options and issue still persisted. Just tried DMC 5 ran smooth as butter. If it helps at all i'm not running it through steam, but from the social club directly (so can't refund T-T). Reinstalling on that platform would take forever so any last pieces of advice before i hit the kill switch?

If it happens ONLY while playing GTA5, then I'm assuming this issue is game specific, and not hardware related. Though, I'm not fully sure.
The main thread of this game runs as fast as possible without waiting for the secondary threads to provide it with all the data it needs to keep going so it runs out of data every so often and waits for the other threads to catch up.
You can also fix this by using a FPS limiter or slowing your GPU down enough with high enough settings but you would have to limit the game to the lowest FPS you get so you would loose a lot of performance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DQl_VRiPw

or this for a bit more info and for various degrees of fix.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN-mdoMDuSQ
GTA V

Solution
May 2, 2019

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DQl_VRiPw

or this for a bit more info and for various degrees of fix.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN-mdoMDuSQ
GTA V
Thanks alot. Changing the thread priority to lowest really did make a huge difference. the spikes are not gone but they happen much less frequently, making the game playable all be it still frustrating. Just wondering why this isn't happening in other games similar in nature like witcher 3. Is it game design from the developer side or is my pc derping?

Thanks alot. Changing the thread priority to lowest really did make a huge difference. the spikes are not gone but they happen much less frequently, making the game playable all be it still frustrating. Just wondering why this isn't happening in other games similar in nature like witcher 3. Is it game design from the developer side or is my pc derping?
It does happen in quite a lot of games but most of them are so demanding on the GPU that it slows the game down enough to not be such a big problem,GTA V is quite light on GPU,excluding the ultra grass settings,so a lot more people have problems.