Question Me (and my computer) need some serious tech help...

MaxAaron

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
Hi all,

So, I have a custom build pc. And it's just not working at all... I'm going to walk through the hardware, the progression of the issue (to the point where the computer is now totally unusable), and all the steps I've tried to fix it. I really hope someone can tell me what to do, since my computer is basically a brick at this point.

First, here's the parts list:
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Memory
SanDisk X400 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GAMING X Video Card
EVGA G1 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Now, here's how the issue progressed through time: In the beginning, I'd get the occasional blue screen with a restart, usually with the stop code 'memory_management.' Sometimes it would say other things like 'fatal process failed' (paraphrasing). Usually, I'd restart, and I'd be fine for a period ranging from a few days to a few months before it happened again... then, another restart would fix it. Also, sometimes when shutting down the PC, an error message like 'Memory referenced at [long string of numbers] could not be found or read.' I just clicked the x and they went away. I thought this was a RAM issue, so I replaced the RAM with new sticks, but it kept happening. Then, recently, the computer would start totally freezing up on me and not automatically reboot, so, I had to do it manually. Sometimes when I'd boot the machine, the screen would just remain totally black. Usually, after a few reboots, I could get back in and use it normally. Then the random freezes went from being weeks apart to minutes apart, basically making the machine unusable. After a while, the MoBo would say it was doing its automatic diagnosis and attempting repairs (so would windows) but it always said there were no issues fixed. I've tried the test from cmd to check for bad hardware on the main storage device (the m.2), but it says all good. I've also visually inspected the MoBo for broken/leaky capacitors, and the CPU for bent pins--all looks good. Now, the device pretty much just freezes on the Gigabyte MoBo loading screen, and those little white dots on the bottom middle just stay frozen forever. I CAN get into BIOS, though. I tried restoring to defaults and that also didn't work.

I'm fine replacing whatever hardware is causing this, but I've heard so many different possible causes from CPU, to MoBO, to the graphics card, to storage, etc. I'm hoping someone can give me a good software/hardware fix for all of this.

Thank you!

Hi all,

So, I have a custom build pc. And it's just not working at all... I'm going to walk through the hardware, the progression of the issue (to the point where the computer is now totally unusable), and all the steps I've tried to fix it. I really hope someone can tell me what to do, since my computer is basically a brick at this point.

First, here's the parts list:
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3-1866 CL10 Memory
SanDisk X400 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB GAMING X Video Card
EVGA G1 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Now, here's how the issue progressed through time: In the beginning, I'd get the occasional blue screen with a restart, usually with the stop code 'memory_management.' Sometimes it would say other things like 'fatal process failed' (paraphrasing). Usually, I'd restart, and I'd be fine for a period ranging from a few days to a few months before it happened again... then, another restart would fix it. Also, sometimes when shutting down the PC, an error message like 'Memory referenced at [long string of numbers] could not be found or read.' I just clicked the x and they went away. I thought this was a RAM issue, so I replaced the RAM with new sticks, but it kept happening. Then, recently, the computer would start totally freezing up on me and not automatically reboot, so, I had to do it manually. Sometimes when I'd boot the machine, the screen would just remain totally black. Usually, after a few reboots, I could get back in and use it normally. Then the random freezes went from being weeks apart to minutes apart, basically making the machine unusable. After a while, the MoBo would say it was doing its automatic diagnosis and attempting repairs (so would windows) but it always said there were no issues fixed. I've tried the test from cmd to check for bad hardware on the main storage device (the m.2), but it says all good. I've also visually inspected the MoBo for broken/leaky capacitors, and the CPU for bent pins--all looks good. Now, the device pretty much just freezes on the Gigabyte MoBo loading screen, and those little white dots on the bottom middle just stay frozen forever. I CAN get into BIOS, though. I tried restoring to defaults and that also didn't work.

I'm fine replacing whatever hardware is causing this, but I've heard so many different possible causes from CPU, to MoBO, to the graphics card, to storage, etc. I'm hoping someone can give me a good software/hardware fix for all of this.

Thank you!
List your hardware.
Being you replaced the memory and still have the problem...I'd focus on possibly a failing PSU.
He did list hardware.
As for what the issue could be you have intergated graphics. So start by stripping the pc to the basics. Cpu ram psu mobo storage nothing else. No gpu no wifi no sound cards nothings extra... And as for storage only have c drive pluged in. Run a few test from here.

Reactions: punkncat

MaxAaron

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
He did list hardware.
As for what the issue could be you have intergated graphics. So start by stripping the pc to the basics. Cpu ram psu mobo storage nothing else. No gpu no wifi no sound cards nothings extra... And as for storage only have c drive pluged in. Run a few test from here.
Hey there,

I tried doing this but without the GPU installed, the computer wouldn't even post to the monitor (nothing came up at any point)... also, if I could get this to work, what sort of tests would you suggest I run?