[SOLVED] Memory says 8GB ram but have 16GB installed. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2021
I purchased a Boxed Intel® NUC Kit, NUC7i7HVK and it only recognizes one stick of ram. So my question here is how to troubleshoot to figure if it's the ram or the system or software possibly? Here is what I've done so far:
I removed both and reinserted both, no change only says i have 8gb ram. I tried one stick and it still says 8gb ram no matter which one I test. I have currently one stick installed in lower slot and it says 8gb ram, but if I put the other stick in it still only says 8 gb ram. They were purchased and came as a set 2x8gb =16 gb ram. So my question is before I return the NUC under warranty how do I figure out what the issue is? I have run mem64 test several times only finds 8 gb RAM. I have reinstalled the Windows 10 OS also, but no change. Please help me narrow down the issue to the hardware or what else I do not know.

Jan 22, 2021
Yes, thanks for your reply but I do according to the Intel update support page for my NUC. I would post an image of the page showing bios is up to date but can't figure how to do that here. Any other ideas much appreciated.

Endre

Reputable
I purchased a Boxed Intel® NUC Kit, NUC7i7HVK and it only recognizes one stick of ram. So my question here is how to troubleshoot to figure if it's the ram or the system or software possibly? Here is what I've done so far:
I removed both and reinserted both, no change only says i have 8gb ram. I tried one stick and it still says 8gb ram no matter which one I test. I have currently one stick installed in lower slot and it says 8gb ram, but if I put the other stick in it still only says 8 gb ram. They were purchased and came as a set 2x8gb =16 gb ram. So my question is before I return the NUC under warranty how do I figure out what the issue is? I have run mem64 test several times only finds 8 gb RAM. I have reinstalled the Windows 10 OS also, but no change. Please help me narrow down the issue to the hardware or what else I do not know.

Maybe the memory slot is damaged.
Introduce only one memory module in one of the slots. Then, if it works, introduce the same module in the other memory slot.

Reactions: CynthiaW
Jan 22, 2021
Use a third party site like imgur.com to host your image and then post a link to it here.

What happens if you install just one RAM module in the upper (?) slot? Does the system still boot?

-Wolf sends
Well, I tried every combination of slots and memory cards and it always booted up, then I put both memory cards in again and bless my NUC it booted and now says 16 GB ram on the intel system page! I believe I was just not seating them correctly in the first place. Thank you so much for your help.

Jan 22, 2021
Maybe the memory slot is damaged.
Introduce only one memory module in one of the slots. Then, if it works, introduce the same module in the other memory slot.
Well, I tried every combination of slots and memory cards and it always booted up, then I put both memory cards in again and bless my NUC it booted and now says 16 GB ram on the intel system page! I believe I was just not seating them correctly in the first place. Thank you so much for your help.

Reactions: Endre
Status
Not open for further replies.