Question Mesh between Linksys WHW03CFv2 and TP-Link Ax5400 (AX73) routers possible?

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Hi

I have a TP-Link Ax5400 (Ax73) and my new provider has just given me a new Linksys WHW03CFv2.

They are both quite new and capable routers and I was hoping to use the Linksys as my main, and the TP-Link as a mesh to expand the reach. (Or the other way around)

Is this possible, or is there no cross compatibility between the two brands?

(I’ve had a couple of tries but without success - though admittedly been mad busy so haven’t dedicated too much time at this point)

If not, I’d welcome any suggestions to make some kind of combined use of the two routers!

(I have currently connected the TP-Link per Wan Ethernet and have it running a separate Wi-Fi SSID - not quite ideal..)

Many thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Hi

I have a TP-Link Ax5400 (Ax73) and my new provider has just given me a new Linksys WHW03CFv2.

They are both quite new and capable routers and I was hoping to use the Linksys as my main, and the TP-Link as a mesh to expand the reach. (Or the other way around)

Is this possible, or is there no cross compatibility between the two brands?

(I’ve had a couple of tries but without success - though admittedly been mad busy so haven’t dedicated too much time at this point)

If not, I’d welcome any suggestions to make some kind of combined use of the two routers!

(I have currently connected the TP-Link per Wan Ethernet and have it running a separate Wi-Fi SSID - not quite ideal..)

Many thanks!
"Mesh" means different things to different people. Do you mean a wireless uplink between the two devices? That is one definition of "mesh" Another is a single SSID on multiple devices with a wired connection between them.

As stated above you need to describe more in detail what you want to do there are likely ways to make it work either way.

The concept of "mesh" is mostly marketing. It is something that is only used in home not in business. They might as well put "New and Improved" on the box for how little it really means.....except even stupid people know "new and improved" is a scam so they call it mesh instead.

Mesh unlike most network stuff including wifi there is a standards group that sets all the rules. This makes sure that all your end device will work with all the routers and you don't have to buy a apple router because you have a apple phone.....I am sure apple is sad.
Since mesh is made up marketing thing every vendor has implemented it differently. This means that devices from different vendors do not work together and sometime different lines of routers from the same vendor do not work together.

But the functionality that a so called "mesh" system provides like having a single subnet or connecting devices is part of the standards you just have to do the configurations yourself rather than push some magic button.

tsomek

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2015
Hi,

apologies if there was not enough info on my intentions!

I currently have a network on one router(Linksys), which allows all connected devices to have access to their respective shares (samba etc), and to have the ability to cast streams between each other.

Now, my goal is to use the second router (tp—link) to extend the same, single SSID to allow strong signal throughout the house, by way of what I thought was called a “mesh” system.

the important bit being that it’s all on the same SSID - I want to avoid multiple SSIDs.

in essence I want the second router to work as an extender.

last detail is that I have the possibility to connect the two via Ethernet (making use of a power line adapter)

is this possible - and specifically with the two routers?

many thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

apologies if there was not enough info on my intentions!

I currently have a network on one router(Linksys), which allows all connected devices to have access to their respective shares (samba etc), and to have the ability to cast streams between each other.

Now, my goal is to use the second router (tp—link) to extend the same, single SSID to allow strong signal throughout the house, by way of what I thought was called a “mesh” system.

the important bit being that it’s all on the same SSID - I want to avoid multiple SSIDs.

in essence I want the second router to work as an extender.

last detail is that I have the possibility to connect the two via Ethernet (making use of a power line adapter)

is this possible - and specifically with the two routers?

many thanks
Yes, it is possible. You will configure one of them as an access point and leave the other configured as a router.
To set the TP-Link as an access point read section 4.4 of the user's manual -- https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2022/202206/20220628/1910013167_Archer AX73_UG_REV1.2.0.pdf

This is where using the correct terms helps avoid confusion.

What you want is the most simple case. ...and I will stop since it has been answered above. Just set them to the same SSID. This is the best way to expand your coverage and how large enterprise has done it since the beginning of wifi.

The powerline will work fine to connect between the 2 acting as a ethernet cable.