Question Messed up Motherboard?

Bidu68

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
Hey guys, so my friend had an I3-9100F on a MSI z390 A Pro motherboard but another friend got an upgrade and his I5-7400 was just sitting there so my friend got it borrowed from him. Here comes the messed up part.. so my friend just placed the I5-7400 on a z390 and as expected, nothing happened, literally nothing, the pc won't work. So he tried to get the I3 back into the motherboard and now it wont work either. Did he mess up the motherboard?
He said the guys at the store had to "downgrade" (by his words) the motherboard firmware so she could handle the I3 but i dont see where that makes sense because that motherboard supports that cpu out the box as said in MSI's website.
So that said, my friend decided that maybe he had do a CMOS reset to see if it would work again, but nothing. Can you guys help?

Wolfshadw

Titan
From a couple of years ago.

Looks like you're just in a No Post situation. I would try and re-flash the BIOS to the original V10. Reference Pg. 42 of your Motherboard Manual (Updating BIOS with M-Flash).

-Wolf sends

Bidu68

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
From a couple of years ago.

Looks like you're just in a No Post situation. I would try and re-flash the BIOS to the original V10. Reference Pg. 42 of your Motherboard Manual (Updating BIOS with M-Flash).

-Wolf sends

So I just asked my friend what happened when he tries to turn on the pc and he says the pc turns on but there is no video signal (sorry forgot to mention that earlier), can he reset any other way without having to go into the BIOS menu or something?

Wolfshadw

Titan
So I just asked my friend what happened when he tries to turn on the pc and he says the pc turns on but there is no video signal (sorry forgot to mention that earlier), can he reset any other way without having to go into the BIOS menu or something?
What graphics card/power supply is he using? Remember that the I3-9100F does not have integrated graphics.

-Wolf sends

Bidu68

Reputable
Nov 2, 2016
What graphics card/power supply is he using? Remember that the I3-9100F does not have integrated graphics.

-Wolf sends

He is using an AMD Radeon 5500XT 4GB as a gpu and the PSU is a Kolink 500w Semi Modular 80Plus Bronze KL.
I dont think it has anything to do with the gpu and the psu because he is using the i5-7400 with another motherboard with those and its doing fine. Before watching any reviews and benchmarks of the I3-9100 vs I5-7400 he just swap the cpu's and now he wants the I3 back.

Maybe he damaged the motherboard cpu pins when putting the 7th gen I5 since it is a Kaby Lake? I really dont know

Wolfshadw

Titan
I asked about the graphics card/power supply in the event they were not installed (again, the I3-9100F does not have integrated graphics) and the display was connected to a graphics card output.

My first thought was about damage to the CPU Socket, but given the link to the other question, I assumed it would be ok, Maybe that person just got lucky. I really don't know either.

-Wolf sends