Mettle and Losing Familiars

It looks like losing/dismissing one's familiar is a "Fort Save for
Half" XP loss effect. Will Mettle (Pious Templar from Complete
Divine, for example) reduce that to zero on a successful save?

Same question for a Shadowdancer's shadow companion...

Donald

Donald Tsang wrote:
> It looks like losing/dismissing one's familiar is a "Fort Save for
> Half" XP loss effect. Will Mettle (Pious Templar from Complete
> Divine, for example) reduce that to zero on a successful save?
>
> Same question for a Shadowdancer's shadow companion...

I doubt it. It's not a damaging effect, nor is it a tangeable IC
effect.

Donald Tsang <tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>It looks like losing/dismissing one's familiar is a "Fort Save for
>Half" XP loss effect. Will Mettle (Pious Templar from Complete
>Divine, for example) reduce that to zero on a successful save?
>
>Same question for a Shadowdancer's shadow companion...

Nobody answered this the first time... so I'll do the lame thing and
follow-up to my own post.

Well?

(as for the sorta-answer that claimed "no in-campaign effects" (?),
I'd say not having sufficient remaining XP to cast an XP-component
spell, such as Wish, is a pretty serious and immediate in-campaign
effect...)

Donald

Donald Tsang wrote:

> (as for the sorta-answer that claimed "no in-campaign effects" (?),
> I'd say not having sufficient remaining XP to cast an XP-component
> spell, such as Wish, is a pretty serious and immediate in-campaign
> effect...)

true enough. I can't see any reason not, but it still feels like the
sort of thing that will be errataed if you ask the designers about it.
As written I guess it does, but then it seems to really minimize the
penalty for losing a familiar, which was supposed to be a bad thing.

but as written there's no reason to assume tht it doesn't work that
way.

TRENDING THREADS