[SOLVED] Microphone and Line In settings in Windows 10

Jan 3, 2020
Hello,

I have a problem with setting up my headset (Trust gtx 310) microphone in W10. For a long time, everything was working correctly. Today, after connecting both jacks to the mb, i got a notification, asking if the second one is supposed to be a microphone or a line-in. Accidentally, I marked line-in. (My motherboard - Dell optiplex 9010 sff - has a combined port for mic and line in). Since then, the input/recording device has been marked as line in everywhere in Windows and the microphone stopped working. At first, I didn't think much of it, because I thought I will just change it back in the settings, but I can't seem to find a way to do it in either the sound settings or the sound control panel. After plugging the mic, the audio device is just listed (under "recording" in scp) as Line in, with no apparent way to do anything about it. Is there any way to make the system recognize the port/device as a microphone instead of a line in again?

Thanks for any reply
(PS: The mentioned notification question will not pop up again, because I also marked "don't ask again". I know, I know, stupid, but I didn't notice I marked the incorrect option).

Solution
Hello

If possible, can you please try removing all the devices connected to audio ports, and uninstalling and then reinstalling the driver from the start?

If this doesn't help, please try the links given here to fix the issue.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!
Hello

If possible, can you please try removing all the devices connected to audio ports, and uninstalling and then reinstalling the driver from the start?

Cheers!!

Reactions: alojz
Solution
Jan 3, 2020
Hello

Cheers!!

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your help. While uninstalling and reinstalling drivers didn't initially work for me, it was a useful advice in the end. After everything else failed, I tried restoring a previous state of Windows from a restore point, which by itself didn't solve the problem either. However, following your advice once again after doing the restoration procedure finally did the trick. So thanks again and I'll leave this here, for the eventuality that it might help someone with a similar problem.

Have a great day.