Question Microphone only recognizes PC sound but doesn't pick up my voice at all ?

Jan 3, 2022
I am plugging earbuds with built in microphone to my PC. I tried to video call my friends and they're saying that my voice is breaking up and have static noises. I realized that my PC only picked up my built in microphone from my webcam and not from my headset. My PC has separate microphone and audio jack, so I decided to bought an audio splitter based on a recommendation from another thread (like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G36WQ1J) hoping that it will work. But it still wasn't working. My PC does recognize the microphone now but it still won't pick up my voice. Here's what I've tried (But still didn't work):
  1. Uninstalled driver (Realtek)
  2. Reinstalled and update the driver (Realtek)
  3. Made sure from windows setting that my microphone is on and allowed
  4. Made my earbuds microphone as a default (and communication default too)
  5. Disable my webcam microphone
  6. Uncheck the listen to device box
  7. Troubleshooting both microphone
Current situation:
Right now I'm still using my webcam built in mic since I have no choice. My web cam mic is the one that cause the voice breaking and static noise because I also use earbuds with another mic. I need to use both the earbuds and webcam (and possibly the headset microphone instead of the webcam one) so please let me know how to fix this, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your earbuds? You should list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Peripherals:

Often times a case will have a unified audio jack meaning your splitter was warranted while other times the audio port on the cases front panel is separated, in which case the splitter wasn't necessary. You might want to see if the earbuds are functional on a phone or another (donor) system.

As for your audio device, if you're on Microsoft's Windows OS environment, you should be able to bring up the Sound Manager console and see what your default input(microphone) device is. If it's set to the webcam, change that to the mic on the earbuds, provided the earbuds are plugged into the system prior to firing up Sound Manager.

Jan 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your earbuds? You should list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Peripherals:

Often times a case will have a unified audio jack meaning your splitter was warranted while other times the audio port on the cases front panel is separated, in which case the splitter wasn't necessary. You might want to see if the earbuds are functional on a phone or another (donor) system.

As for your audio device, if you're on Microsoft's Windows OS environment, you should be able to bring up the Sound Manager console and see what your default input(microphone) device is. If it's set to the webcam, change that to the mic on the earbuds, provided the earbuds are plugged into the system prior to firing up Sound Manager.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I'm using an AKG earbuds but I don't really remember the model. Here is my spec:
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
Motherboard: B75 chipset
Ram: DDR 16GB (2x8GB)
SSD/HDD: 120GB/1TB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050ti (4GB)
PSU: Paradox 450 watt
Chassis: Xagatek Oreo Arctic
Peripherals:

I already tried to plug the ear buds in the back of my PC so it can connect directly to the motherboard but still nothing. The audio port on my front panel case is separated, not unified. That's actually the main reason why I bought the audio splitter. As for my earbuds, it works correctly in both my phone and my laptop.

Yes, I already did that. I've changed the default microphone from camera USB to Realtek audio (my earbuds) and disable my USB camera microphone. I even access my PC's device manager to disable it again. Still not working. Somehow my PC only recognize voice through USB camera microphone.

Also an update, last night I tried tinkering it again through settings, control panel, and device manager. And miraculously, my earbuds microphone works (I tested it via zoom meeting) and after 10 minutes, it didn't work again. I'm so confused.