Microsoft, BioWare Argue Over 'Always Online' Console

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
MS the FEDS best friend and in bed with our evil big brother government.
After just recently buying a 3D TV and finding out that the PS3 will play 3D Blue Rays there is no way I would ever thing of getting a crapbox When you first put in a 3D movir the PS3 does a free update and your good to go.

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
[citation][nom]screamzack[/nom]well, im glad i sold my 360 to build a gaming pc.[/citation]
Dual boot with Ubuntu and get on STEAM with Ubuntu. Try Champions of Regnum on STEAM, a free MMORPG. It's not bad to kill some time between big released AAA games. Myself, waiting for Fallout 4, Doom 4.

hardcore_player

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
oh man if this is true then I'm going for PS4 , i love my original Xbox and my 360 but if Microsoft disappoints me in any way ,hell I'm going to support the company who cares most for their fans and gamers not just for their own interests, i didn't buy Sim-city for this particular reason .

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
What about the people who can't afford an internet connection... Friend of mines family is having some rough times. They cannot afford comcasts (only availible provider) ridiculous monthly prices but his brothers have an xbox and play single player or coop together...

That's understandable, but a new gaming console should be the last thing on someone's mind if they're in that kind of shape.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
LOL. The vacuum comparison is so wacked. How many hours a week do you vacuum your house? But he makes a valid point. If you don't have reliable service then you don't buy. For example, I don't have reliable Sprint service in my area so I change service to Verizon and problem solved. If I can't reliable game on the next gen Xbox, then I'll buy a PS4. Not sure why they would want to lose customers because of this? I didn't buy Assassin Creed because of its always online crap. What ever happened to Voice of Customer? Not sure why they would impose this always on DRM on a SYSTEM. It may work for select games like MMORPGs, but their players knows what they are up against.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The sad thing is that there really are people who believe in this kind of thing - I fear enough to actually support competitive sales. EA's demise has been theorized for a while now, but it still manages to sell huge and keep going. The fact is, MSFT can afford to gamble on a push like this because even now they are the 4th most profitable company in the US, just behind Apple and Chevron (ExxonMobile is far and away the leader). If it doesn't work out, it shouldn't be too difficult to reverse, even if costly. But like with a lot of other things for them recently, (Surface, 8, WP8) they have enough money coming in they can take some bigger risks for new projects. This just happens to be the stupidest idea they've had, delivered in a truly ignorant, condescending, way.

jrgray93

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
The vacuum and cell phone bits are absurd. Well, most of it is absurd. If we had the technology for phones and vacuums to work without electricity or tower coverage, we sure as hell wouldn't artificially limit it to require that.

My brother used to be a huge fan of the XBOX. This is the death knell for his love of game consoles. He's said that if it does come out with this idiotic and restrictive DRM, I'm building him a gaming computer.

The only DRM I'm willing to accept at the time being is Steam, simply because it allows offline and isn't terribly restrictive - if you follow the rules, mind you. I buy games; provided I can use them. If I can't - it usually results in me forgetting how to use my wallet as well.

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Always online requirement? Bullshit. If I bought a machine, I own it, and it has to work when I tell it to and if there is no internet connection, it, not I, has to #dealwithit. I'm getting real tired of this shit. Find a DRM that works properly without an internet connection. It can't be that hard, especially for a console.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]I agree with others. If you don't like always-on, then just don't buy it. No need for yelling, complaining, whining, or flaming.[/citation]

you are right, vote with your money....
cracks me up when people spend so much energy complaining, yet still give retailers their money
just DONT BUY IT

Right. If enough people don't vote 'yes' with their money, manufacturers will not profit from such things and will stop producing things based around this 'always-on' model.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I don't think this "always on" thing will cause MS too much problem.... I can see 2 out come with this...
1) Many MS xbox fanboy/kids don't care about this and MS still sell a lot of xbox infinity. Xbox fanboy/kids happy, MS happy and developers (like EA and Ubisuck) happy.

2) MS drop the bomb on this after release, get hated from everywhere because of this "always on" thing. MS just roll out a "service pack" to "fix" that and everyone happy again.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
What's interesting to me about this whole "Xbox720 always-on" stuff, is that Sony hasn't said much about the issue. Current rumor is that the new Assassin's Creed game from Ubisoft will require an always-on internet connection on PC, PS4 and Xbox720, but CD Projekt Red has gone on record stating that they believe this sort of DRM encourages piracy, and diminishes play experience of their paying customers, so they won't use this type of DRM.

So, my impression is that the Xbox720 and PS4 were enabled to support always-online DRM, if the publisher requires it.

If someone was to have Ubisoft stock, they should SELL IMMEDIATELY, since if my assumptions are correct, they're about to see a HUGE drop in sales. When they pulled this BS on PC, they saw a 90 percent drop in sales.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@my last post:
I do realize that the article was concerning other publishers, but I used Ubisoft as an example, since their sales figures most dramatically show the relationship between increased DRM and reduced sales.

lunix

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
So, the response to piracy is to make piracy more attractive. Myup, that's pristine Microsoft reasoning (and EA, and....)

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Once again an article posted to get clicks... This "rumor" is so blatantly false its sad, but it sure gets the readers in a frenzy. Even Kotaku states in their own article, that they have had multiple Durango owners tell them that an internet connection is not required to play games. You never see that linked though.

The nintendo Wii was "Always on" for the same reason the next xbox will be. To download updates while the system not being used instead of forcing the user to download updates when they just want to play a game.

As for the disconnect statement. I dare anyone to play world of warcraft, diablo 3, battlefield multiplayer, simcity and disconnect their internet and see what the game does. Under the same light, try starting a game without internet connectivity. OMG the game didn't work, lets start a huge rumor about how the xbox sucks...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheeple

hannibal

Distinguished
I am afraid that Avus above is right about that allways on is not consern of most users. I would personally like to play some games in sommer cottage with electrisity, but no internet connection. In the future the only gaming machine there seems to be a laptop PC... Strange change when PC is better "easy" gaming system compared to consoles, but kids now are online allnightlong in anyway so they don't worry if their console is allso online all the time. So this may not affect the XBox720 sales a lot. If you can not sale your games anymore, it may be a matter that affect more, but I expect that it only leads to increase in piracy, when it it is impossible to get cheaper second hand games...

septagent

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Sounds to me like they are moving towards a pay to play business model for single-player games.

"Under the guise of DRM, we're going to cleverly position ourselves so that, one day, we can require a subscription for you to play all the games you've already paid for..."

Like many others in here, I purchased an xbox so i could play it when i'm on the road and often away from a reliable internet connection (and the best of internet connections are frequently more troublesome than the power grid). Not to mention, my xbox DOES require electricity, and only once in the last 5 years have I not been able to play it because of a power outage. Instead, I pulled out the DustBuster and vacuumed out my PC

Ryan Hollingsworth

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
Some of us buy game consoles to simply play games... My life is the internet, i'm always on; however, my xbox is not- I got it to play games and unwind- to get away from the internet. So I guess I won't be getting the new xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.