Microsoft Limits Support For Upcoming Processors To Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattblum

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
MS is just pushing more people to Linux. I upgraded to Win 10 on both my home desktop and my work laptop. I am thoroughly unimpressed. Does it work? Yes it does. Is it more stable then Win 7, which was my previous platform? No it is not. Do I like feeling that I am paying to be forced into a walled garden? No I do not. I will build a new gaming box this year if all goes well. Will have Win 10 with ever possible call home setting turned off. For serious work, I rely on Linux these days. Not dealing with MS strong arm tactics when I don't have to. When the games I play work as well on Linux as they do on Windows, I'll be outta there.

erendofe

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
sounds like fear mongering. unless there are radical architectural features and/or layout changes, this isn't a real big deal. windows has a generic cpu and bus driver anyway

Purewitz

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016

I would move to Linux (Ubuntu or Steam OS) as well, as it stands right now Windows still has the largest PC gaming library. The primary function of my PC is gaming, so I stick with Windows. So if that ever changes to Linux, I would gladly leave Windows. Linux has Steam now, but they still don't have Origins and Uplay. Linux doesn't even have a lot of DRM-Free games yet either. Plus even though Linux has Steam the Linux compatible library of games is still very small. So until Steam has ever game that Windows has, I'm going to have to still with Windows. My reason is gaming, but I'd imagine with other people there are other reasons. Like maybe MS Office is might be better for their business than one of the Linux office productivity suites, such as OpenOffice. In the end my whole point is Linux isn't for everyone yet. It has been slowing getting there in the past 20 years, but its still not there yet to hurt Windows or Mac OS for that matter.

MS great idea was to adopt the Google financial model whereby you give everything away for free and make your money by selling user information. And it might have worked. The problem is that it is the increasingly strong arm tactics that is the source of users aversion to Windows 10. They could solve their problem by removing most users objections:

1. Ya wanna use my computer to d/l updates to other users, fine. Let me control the access. Some users might not object to this usage at any level, some might not care at all and yet others might allow it at times when they system is idle. Options might be:

a) No, I do not want my PC used as a download server.
b) Yes, I'm fine with my PC used as a download server.
c) Yes, I'm fine with my PC used as a download server but only between the hours of ___ and ___

2. For Windows Update, allow me to control if and when upgrades are installed. Options would be:

For Security Fixes
a) Let Windows Update install whatever it wants.
b) Advise me when Windows Updates are available and if I do not actively deselect (hide) one or more updates within ___ days, download and install them.
c) Advise me when Windows Updates are available and let me install them or not install them whenever I damn well please.

For or OS Upgrades / Additional "Features", change last option to:
c) Advise me when Upgrades / Additional Features are available and let me choose whether or not to install them.

For Hardware Drivers, change last option to
c) Advise me when new Hardware drivers are available and include a link to the manufacturers web site.

3. Put all the privacy related / tracking items on a single window and leave all off by default. Provide additional Windows features whereby users are able to opt in to these feature by turning on these items. For example, those who opt in to one set of tracking / telemetry might get say half a dozen Windows Games, like Solitaire. Add in another set of tracking / features and get something else. Opt in to all and you get in the Windows Club and get a discount on MS sponsored PC / XBox games.

Using the latest operating system with the latest processor?
Why on earth would I want to maximize performance?

People have weird attitudes toward MS. They do nothing wrong, yet everyone gets upset when they can't hang onto their old operating system forever. They really expected a life time warranty on their XP.

anOPINIONATEDsob

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
The issues with windows 10 and your personal data are well documented. The connection to the governments assault on YOU is not debatable anymore either. Microsoft became a wholly owned subsidiary of the government and the principals got a severe tax incentive to remain silent. Now Microsoft has free rein or a government mandate to force you to purchase their latest and greatest spy wear or watch your business slowly deflate to irrelevance. I'll bet you cant name all the ways this will cost you and everyone you will ever know. Until Reagan this was illegal but not in republican corporate America.

Tanyac

Reputable
This is unbelievable! Well, no actually, we should expect no less from Microsoft.

The problem is that Windows 10 offers nothing that I want, or for that matter nothing that my family, friends, acquaintances and relatives want. It looks terrible, and is no faster (yes, I've run windows 10 on a test machine for some time), and forces me to install garbage that doesn't work and offers no useful functionality

The stupidity of the situation is that Microsoft is having to force people to move to the new OS because so few "want" the OS. It's really a simple problem. If you give people what they want they will update in droves. People want a better looking, more secure, more privacy respecting OS that has real features that work, are stable, and allows them to at least feel as if they are in control of the PC they own, even if that is only an illusion.

This is like force feeding kids their veggies and not letting them leave the table until they've cleared their plate. All you do is build resistance and distrust. Dumb!

And I wonder how CPU manufacturers feel? Is this going to stifle the hardware upgrade market? At least long enough to make a serious dent in the bottom lines of several companies? I know I will only upgrade a few PCs here, before the next CPU release - and that is to get them onto Skylake so they are OK for the next few years. Then I can take my time researching alternatives to Windows.

innocent bystander

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
A nice, clear Linux upgrade path a few years from now when new CPU's are the only option for those who don't necessarily like Windows 10. Well done, Microsoft. Blowing their feet off with yet another buckshot.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Boy, that's a jerk move. And it's so obvious that this is entirely to strong-arm the public into upgrading. Because surely any CPU-oriented update on Windows 10 can easily be applied to Windows 8, as well, since they are so similar. They're just deliberately shutting that door, for no other reason than they want to.

Red_Sun

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
sounds like fear mongering. unless there are radical architectural features and/or layout changes, this isn't a real big deal. windows has a generic cpu and bus driver anyway
What's to stop say, AMD, from releasing drivers to allow it to run smoothly on Win10? Or is it more complicated than that?

Boy, that's a jerk move. And it's so obvious that this is entirely to strong-arm the public into upgrading. Because surely any CPU-oriented update on Windows 10 can easily be applied to Windows 8, as well, since they are so similar. They're just deliberately shutting that door, for no other reason than they want to.

Of course they want people to upgrade. They waste a fortune patching operating systems they don't sell.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

Just a couple of comments. If someone were to switch over to linux I'd recommend Korora Mate edition over Ubuntu. Ubuntu has taken some turns that many linux users don't like all that much. Korora is the Red Hat version of Ubuntu and is every bit as easy for new users and comes with all the proprietary drivers and restricted codecs so people don't have to install them themselves.

Second, the MS Office equivalent on Linux is now LibreOffice and not OpenOffice. Most of the OpenOffice developers jumped ship a few years ago and have been working on LibreOffice instead. OpenOffice is now pretty much defunct.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if i'm intel and amd i'm already pointing a crew at making these cpu drivers in house to distribute with new cpu purchases. would be a nice nod to the consumer that they won't be bullied by MS nor allow their customers to be bullied either. should not be too hard to put them together for the older os's.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Great, now we upgrade to the special spyware version of windows 10, with the automatic updates that put systems into endless reboot cycles, and the complete lack of control over your operating system in general, that can literally destroy certain laptop screens, that they sneakily renamed their spyware features to "telemetry" to say that they weren't spying on you anymore.
It even deletes your programs and changes the defaults when you upgrade. How much you wanna bet they'll only allow the "Spartan" browser and live enabled games?

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
People wonder why PC market is shrinking?? Like Intel is "limiting" mainstream processors to quad core for decade unless you pay an obscene amount of $$ for anything higher than quad. Nvidia is "limiting" feature like G-sync unless you are willing to pay a hefty premium. Now M$ want to limit future processors to Win10.

"Limiting" is the main play for these "big head" in this sector.

Honestly M$ is only one API (DirectX) away for me not to use Windows. If SteamOS, Linux or even OSX have an API which is as popular as DirectX for game developers. Why do I have to use Windows? Specially MS had treated PC gaming like 2nd grade citizen for the last decade... The only reason I am still using Windows (in home) is because of PC gaming.

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
Uh huh, bullcrap. I'd like to see someone come back to this thread a year from now with their Kaby Lake build running Windows 7. Or better yet, running Windows XP with the generic crappy integrated drivers. Just to prove that an old operating system can work with modern hardware, even if it's not all that usable.

I'm sure with a bit of tweaking Windows 7 will probably run just fine, as long as you can get drivers for the motherboard, USB 3.0, graphics, audio, chipset, etc. I typically don't allow automatic updates anyway, so I'm not missing out. Plus I'm not getting nagged about Windows Shin-er I mean, 10, either. I install the updates I want manually, and offline. I do not use "Windows Update." I have alternative methods.

brgoingtoapple

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
the last straw . . . and I spent time today looking to see if I could install windows 7 on an intel compute stick (no, and it only allows 32 bit). So, I will buy a standalone windows 7 with DVD as $80 insurance for my laptop and/or to drop into bootcamp, but soon, very soon, probably after Apple announces the next upgrade on the mini or their version of a compute stick, I am moving to Apple. I may also move to Linux, but no matter what, I am done with Microsoft's tactics.

Are you serious ?

You are OK with MS using your internet service that you pay for as a torrent server to distribute Windows Update patches to other users ?

You are OK with giving MS unlimited access to the information on your computer ?

You are OK with MS force feeding updates which often break your system ?

If it is so great, why do you think only 1 in 11 users eligible of the great new "free" operating system have upgraded ?

I shop for a car or anything else and last year's model is always sold at a huge discount. Ever pull into a Ford Dealership and see the 2016 Mustang say for $36k and the same 2015 model for $51,000 ? If the operating system is so great, why the extra "tax" on Windows 7 and 8 licenses ? Why do they need to charge 40% more for the old outdated Win 7 to stop people from choosing it over Win10.

If it is so great, why do they need to disguise Upgrade to Win 10 routines inside Windows Update ?

Why did Samsung disable Windows Update on all their laptops before being threatened and forced to re-enable it ?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/#2715e4857a0b5928db2b6fb4
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/27/windows-10-automatic-update-security-problems/#2715e4857a0b63918e843d01
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/17/windows-10-forced-automatic-updates/#2715e4857a0b3f36078b696c
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/#2715e4857a0b35d647c46fb4
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/27/windows-10-automatic-update-security-problems/#2715e4857a0b10867f2943d0
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/13/windows-10-forced-updates-silent-changes/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix#2715e4857a0b20b967bd55e3
http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/08/windows-10-spying-on-kids-surfing-details-for-parents/

Why can't we choose to avoid meltdowns like described here ?

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2889295/microsoft-windows/20-epic-microsoft-windows-auto-update-meltdowns.html

I does work with modern hardware, we've done numerous skylake builds already for users who want nothing to do with Win10. What about say our $15k CAD plotter for which no Win 10 driver exists, or will ever exist. The only way to completely stop Win10 from doing things a user might not want to do or have done to them is to never go online. Yes, you can turn many features off but not all of them and that's right from the horses mouth

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#2715e4857a0bdc6c2d02f4a2

senshu

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010

Are you serious with this? You're done with Microsoft's tactics, but you're going to apple? You may need to rethink your logic there. Going to Ubuntu, or whatever flavor is en vogue at the time, makes sense. Going to more of the same, if not worse, makes absolutely none.

alextheblue

Distinguished
MS is just pushing more people to Linux. I upgraded to Win 10 on both my home desktop and my work laptop. I am thoroughly unimpressed. Does it work? Yes it does. Is it more stable then Win 7, which was my previous platform? No it is not. Do I like feeling that I am paying to be forced into a walled garden? No I do not. I will build a new gaming box this year if all goes well. Will have Win 10 with ever possible call home setting turned off. For serious work, I rely on Linux these days. Not dealing with MS strong arm tactics when I don't have to. When the games I play work as well on Linux as they do on Windows, I'll be outta there.

In these regards really just catching up to the other big operating systems on the market, namely Android and iOS. If they want to compete, they have to adapt to what the market demands.

Are you serious ?

You are OK with MS using your internet service that you pay for as a torrent server to distribute Windows Update patches to other users ?

You are OK with giving MS unlimited access to the information on your computer ?

You are OK with MS force feeding updates which often break your system ?

Now you're spreading FUD. Telemetry isn't "unlimited access". It works like a smartphone OS now, everything is personalized to you. I'd be more worried about third party apps and what permissions they ask for.

The torrent-like downloads? That speeds up everyone's updates, including yours. Torrents are awesome. Blizzard has been using it for their game patches for over a decade. It doesn't run all the time. It's completely harmless - oh and it's OPTIONAL. You can disable it any time, hotshot. :D

As for world-ending updates, I guess I've just been lucky all these decades. Had more issues with anti-virus updates breaking crap than anything. But if you're really paranoid, just disable the update service. You can turn it back on whenever you want. Personally I just let it update when I shut the computer down for the night. "Update and Shut Down" no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.