Microsoft Suspends Windows April Update For Some Systems With Intel SSDs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreasSF

Reputable
May 6, 2015
I had both of my systems crash. I have Samsung SSDs on both. The update is clearly not well designed. Seriously sloppy execution for a consumer product.

genz

Distinguished

That's just not true. All windows patches are in Developer Builds weeks prior and Preview Builds days prior. Intel definitely would have. Everyone else managed to, and although it's rare on MS for an outright failure because of just how *failsafe* the existing code is, it's also can be issues.

I said Failsafe because that's exactly what it is. MS has bent over backwards for decades to protect you from bad hardware. USBs, PCI, you name it and Windows can do something to keep the device running after a partial failure... provided your drivers check out.

Also, AHCI, which software controls modern SSDs, is an Intel technology (even on AMD boards). So this bug is when an Intel interface driver connected to an Intel SSD on Windows. Windows doesn't know the difference between devices, drivers do.

Apple made an advert out of how Windows turns off RAM timing functions if they don't behave well (and 'remixed' it to say that Windows didn't use their RAM properly, when their RAM shouldn't have worked period due to a bad BIOS data table), but the end user sees his cheapo RAM still working.

Soundblaster can't do 3 streams of 44k audio (stereo out and mic), MS removes it as a requirement and redesigns their audio drivers for this bargain bucket unit (hence 'Soundblaster compatible' on the back of old video games - Soundblasters were the bottom of the barrel).

Intel (and most of the industry) can't make good enough iGPU to meet requirements for Vista/DX10 on launch, so MS hacks together a driver mode that lets the crappy GPU run the system then puts up with endless bug fixes all so you can go without a GPU in the first place. Sure they wanted to sell units, but Intel iGPUs couldn't even do full DX9 without software drawing stuff on the CPU back then.

Windows even keeps dead hard drives around for MUCH longer than Linux and Mac. I often take the Mac to a Windows box if I need to do a recovery.

mnrdunck

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Is it just Intel that is effected? I have been having so many problems with my Plextor M9PeG 256gb NVMe SSD, and now my Western Digital 2TB Black HHD's are dissappearing from my PC.

stdragon

Admirable

Uh, unless there's an API into a UEFI, there's no way in hell an OS can adjust RAM timings. In fact, ECC is a hardware function that occurs at the hardware level, not OS. There's no "behaved well" short of a bit-flip, and again, that's a function of ECC to correct for it. Also, you wont find ECC except in high-end workstations and servers. For consumers, ECC can be found mainly in AMD systems.

What does that statement even mean?? All modern file systems are journaling, so error recovery isn't necessarily in issue on dirty shutdown. If data-loss occurs at the LBA level, it's a HARDWARE problem, and has F-ALL to do with the OS. If a SMART error is going to occur, or the HDD out-right fails, that's irregardless of the underlying OS that controls it. The only value it could have is how much the user or OS hammers on read/write count; but that is it!

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
The longer MS sticks with their IBM made/purchased OS, the higher the risk of them losing the market. Linux (and yes even MAC OS X) have better implementations of today's needs vs kernel offerings. Microsoft and and Apple aren't engineering O/S's they are just relying on someone else make in (MS paid IBM to make Windows and update it to windows Vista, which the win 10 kernel is still based off of and Apple is just FreeBSD/Unix with a pretty UI...that's also now outdated in feeling). The only truly engineered OS is LInux (though once could say it's ripped from Unix). MS's need for 8 to 16GB of RAM is ridiculous (go ahead, run your system at 4GB for half a year and report how well it turns after that), a RESTART to apply changes that only happen during kernel load (registry) and their constant tinkering of trying to find a GUI that isn't Windows XP is just not working.

If I may borrow your phrasing, "that's just not true." Developer builds and Preview builds are in no way guaranteed to be the final code released. Even if Microsoft promised that they are, I wouldn't believe them after the nonsense they have pulled at this point with their automatic update system. There's been myriad complaints about failed installs, upgrades, and patching which even if only a percentage is true, is more than should be. You're welcome to disagree or defend their use of their tool the way they have. It is my opinion that they took things too far, and still do.

I remember the preview builds that fixed the Dolby Digital Live issues, that when the actual update was pushed for general release, just happened to be broken again. Wonder how that happened?

2nd, Developer builds and Preview builds have the patching baked in. As many people can attest to, failure modes can and often do arise from or during the actual process of applying the patch or update. These types of failures would not be present in either the developer or the preview builds, which sometimes won't even install. My personal favorite is the need to actually reinstall Windows in some instances of choosing to leave the Insider program.

So, it sounds like what you may be trying to say is, Intel knew about the problem, because they keep track of each frequent release Microsoft makes for Windows 10, and simply did nothing? Intel is already facing less than stellar PR for their behavior last year. Do you think they would let a known defect in their software cause people to start mistrusting the benefits of using an Intel SSD? If there was such a glaring deficiency or issue with Intel's drivers or firmware, why is it only now coming to light? There may be more to this.

Fail safe code doesn't always work, and if you think Microsoft's coding is that great, how is it the only company that can write an installer that takes 5 times longer to install software from an optical disc than is necessary to just do a wrote copy of the data? "Something is rotten in the town of Redmond."

The 600p isn't widespread enough? If Intel wants to pay some of their employees to do QA testing for Microsoft, that's their prerogative, but it only makes limited financial sense if they're going to actually do something about it when a problem is found. Was the problem so obscure that Intel missed it or is this a case of negligence? It clearly isn't obscure enough for Microsoft to overlook.

AMD and Intel may just have different priorities and practices in place. Could be another case like what happened with Windows 2000, where companies held off writing updated drivers because Microsoft was so late with their end of things.

AMD seems to be taking a few cues from their graphics division where they are trying to be preemptively ready on release day. They have a lot of good faith to build. Intel really doesn't seem to be playing the same game. They are an older, more entrenched company with far more assets to burn, still acting in a more corporate manner.

I can verify that it does not affect my Intel 520.

They hired the prior AMD employees for their GPU division which they do for HTPC means, not for their CPU division.

As well so far the majority of CPUs from every vendor, AMD included, have been affected by Spectre and Meltdown.

I had to manually install the latest driver (use the "Clean Install" option from the driver install) and that fixed it for me. Final Fantasy XV would not load until I did that giving me a Direct X 11 error as well.

May 20, 2018
Not only with Intel Optane series problem. With 2500 Pro 256GB too. Zbook 17 G3 Xeon: system freezes after 1803 update. In task manager ssd disk at 100% transer, 5 seconds delay, and blank screen or BSOD. Frustrating, 4 times in a every day.

Replacement SSD (clone system/disk) with Samsung 960 Pro resolves problem, but with anther cost: boot (UEFI) time increases to 60 seconds :-/ But this is HP incompatibility.

Intel, Microsoft, HP big thx for hard work :/

Status
Not open for further replies.