Question Migration of data from HDD to SSD

Feb 2, 2023
Hello
I have C: SSD with Windows 10 and D: HDD with the data like documents and so on, but also I use that D: for games installation folder. And for example, Steam and Epic etc. are installed on C: but games are put in D:. Now I want to completely get rid of that HDD and put SSD instead. How to do it the easiest way? I was thinking if that's possible to disconnect HDD, then to connect SSD to that SATA port which was already used with HDD, then connect the old HDD to completely new SATA port, then it will become E: drive, and just copy all the folders with games to the new SSD D: drive? Would that work and be so easy? Or maybe I will need to use disk management tool from Windows?

logainofhades

Titan
Your idea is possible. You will probably need to use disk management, just to create a volume, and format the new drive. After that, it should be a simple copy/paste. You might also to want to change the drive letter, of the SSD, to D:, to avoid links to your games becoming broken, after you copy and paste. Maybe don't hook up the old drive, until the new one is setup, shut down, and then hook the old drive up.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yeah, what you've stated is possible to do. You could also connect the SSD in your current platform, initialize the drive in Disk management, then copy over all data off the HDD. Power down and disconnect the HDD, power up the system and then change the SSD's drive letter to D.

Out of curiosity, do all files that are meant to be saved in your users folder(documents/downloads/music/video) automatically save on D drive? If so, that might mean your users folder is assigned to save to the HDD, i.e, D drive. Then you will need to change the location of the folder, Right click folders within Users folder, properties>Location.

Feb 2, 2023
Thank you for such a quick respond and hello to everybody! I've just created account, because of this question, but for many years I've been looking for solutions on this forum. So I will try to do like both of you said, to connect new SSD like E:, then copy from D: to E:, power off, HDD out, power on, change letter from E: to D:.

Out of curiosity, do all files that are meant to be saved in your users folder(documents/downloads/music/video) automatically save on D drive?

All that things use C drive. D drive is used only for files that I manually put there like doc files, graphics etc. And also as games installation folder. However, many games config files or saves are stored on C in users folder (roaming etc.). But the main folder of the game with the biggest size is stored on D:. Generally I don't have much games, the only one I care is MSFS2020 which is over 300 GB ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts