[SOLVED] Miscellaneous questions and request for advice

GamerLackingKnowledge

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the overclocking game and didn't know where to turn, I recently built a new PC (though lack a graphics card :sweatsmile:) and I wanted to get some advice on a couple of things.
My specs:
z590 Maximus Hero Xiii
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 aio
Trident Z Neo 32gb 3600mhz 16-16-16-36 (out of the box values)
Samsung 980 Pro 1tb
Phanteks p500a drgb
ax850 titanium

First, I wanted to know about temps. I have done a performance 10 test from passmark. During the test my cpu was maxing at 90c. Is this normal thermals in your experience with an arctic freezer II 360? I do have Intel adaptive boosting turned on, is it this that is squeezing the performance and pushing temps that high? Or did i screw up my thermal pasting?
Also, I wanted to OC my CPU a bit, but with those temps it makes me doubt if I should try, do you have any advice on that?

secondly, I wanted to OC my ram while keeping within the limits of Gear 1 for my 11900k. Currently at 3600 I think im still not within gear 1, as CPU-Z says my DRAM freq is 1800 with a 1:27 FSB:DRAM. What is the best way I can squeeze the best performance of my Ram? Should I lower the frequency to 3200 and improve timings? What is the best way to overclock or underclock my ram?

Finally, is there anything I should know in trying to take advantage of my motherboard. Such as, I know there is a ReTry button for overclocking, though I am unaware of how to use it. Thanks everyone, I hope this isn't in the wrong section and I hope my questions aren't too vague.

I apologize for any mistakes in procedure.

Solution
1)I've no experience with the Arctic Freezer II 360, but this is likely 'normal' with the 11900K because of number 2.
2)Oh yeah, it's Adaptive Boost Technology doing that. I saw a KitGuru video displaying that. Performance, power, voltage, and temperatures 'to the moon'!
3)Doubt it. It's actually hard to screw up paste application, unless you're using something like TG Kryonaut, which has specific instructions to do a full IHS spread, and you ignored it in favor of the little in the middle application.
4)Intel took all the fun out of overclocking their own cpu's for the uninitiated or those just taking an interest in it.
-Thermal Velocity Boost, which is currently exclusive to the i9s, gains an extra 100mhz across the board, as long as...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)I've no experience with the Arctic Freezer II 360, but this is likely 'normal' with the 11900K because of number 2.
2)Oh yeah, it's Adaptive Boost Technology doing that. I saw a KitGuru video displaying that. Performance, power, voltage, and temperatures 'to the moon'!
3)Doubt it. It's actually hard to screw up paste application, unless you're using something like TG Kryonaut, which has specific instructions to do a full IHS spread, and you ignored it in favor of the little in the middle application.
4)Intel took all the fun out of overclocking their own cpu's for the uninitiated or those just taking an interest in it.
-Thermal Velocity Boost, which is currently exclusive to the i9s, gains an extra 100mhz across the board, as long as the user maintains thermals below 70C.
-Adaptive Boost Technology(also i9 exclusive) is auto overclocking to the MAX. But, like with all auto voltage settings, it could probably do with a -30 or -50mv offset. It'll likely still see 80C+ though under some loads.
-Intel already squeezed most of the performance out of their latest gen cpus. Quite the opposite from what users could achieve with the older Sandy Bridge and Haswell models, for example.
I won't say cpu overclocking is dead, but the bar has definitely been set higher for newbies.

The ram stuff is over my head. Someone else will hopefully offer you tips with that.

Solution
The throttle point for intel is around 100c.
Running a stress test at 90c. is fine, normally you will not go near that.

I would imagine that your aio is ok. If your idle temperatures are in the range of 10-15c. over ambient, It is probably fine.
But, with an aio, monitor things. over time air will seep into the system and the unit will need to be replaced.

On overclocking, I would not try unless your work is multithreaded appps that can fully run all threads.
The thermal boost mechanism is very good, boosting a couple of cores higher than what an oc can do and direct them to the task that needs it.

On ram, I would not bother to try either.
If the ram was well enough binned to run solidly at higher speeds, it would have been sold as 4000 speed kits at a higher price.
I suppose you could get lucky.
Then, intel real app performance is not much impacted by ram speeds.

I think I would not install the apps that come with the motherboard.
They are an unnecessary complication.
Do so only if there is a function that you actually need to use.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I think if you enable MCE (multicore enhancement) on the Asus board, temps will increase a lot. Is that on?
It's not like we can tell how your pastejob is without pics. Lift the heatsink and check. Is paste covering everything? Not too much paste? It REALLY shouldn't flow out the sides of the CPU. That's bad.
If you want to test your cooler, run OCCT with extreme mode and all the threads or Prime95 small FFTs. I don't ever use Passmark. Feels like a toy.

RAM OC. Establish a baseline with stock clocks in EVERY program, game etc you are using and planning to use.
Some applications like bandwidth, games tend to like low latency. If you go 3200 Mhz and like CL 12-14-14, games might like that. But you have to test it.
Then, if you go 4000 Mhz CL 18-20-20, bandwidth limited apps might be 5-10% faster. Editing large files, maybe databases. I'm not saying those timings will work, only used as an example.
You have to choose if you like latency more or bandwidth more. Can't have both. Aida64 can tell you those values.

Retry-button? Do you mean Reset-button? Those exist on a few mobos. Works just like a Reset-button on your case (if you have one). Helpful when overclocking extensively. CMOS reset also becomes your friend. Clears BIOS to defaults settings, allowing your system to boot if you used unstable settings. So unstable the system wont even pass POST.

Overclocking takes time, it takes knowledge. Read, read, read! RAM OC guides etc. You gotta know what the BIOS settings do and how that can affect things. CPU overclocking is a breeze nowadays compared to RAM OC.
At least on the Ryzen platform. Theres 50 settings you gotta control. You can spend months on it. And those quick stability tests aren't conclusive. You gotta run every program and game you have for a couple hours for a week or two to know if RAM is stable. Any BSOD, random reboot etc means it isn't. Quick stability tests are good for ruling out all the unstable settings FAST. But there is always edge cases. And those will crash your system if your system is unstable. You gotta control every variable, down to what BIOS version you are running. Don't expect any version, new or old to be compatible with what you dialed in. It will only be valid for the BIOS version you had at the time. But if you have no issues with the BIOS version you are on, no reason to change it. Newer isn't always better. Mobo makers tend to disable features in newer versions, make them "more" stable etc. You gotta test if that is good for you if you decide to upgrade BIOS. I had an 3200-3333 Mhz OC working on my RAM 2 years ago. Doesn't work now, at all, with any BIOS version since then. My RAM is 3000 Mhz with XMP on.

The 11900k is NOT a cool chip. It draws a lot of power and 95-99% of that power is converted to heat. CPUs are efficient at turning powerdraw to heat. Might wanna look at fan curves on radiator fans. More aggressive is better (higher RPM) but comes with increased noise.