lankiller

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Hi i know this maybe a noob question but I'm kinda confused and cant find any help on it. I have a Evga 780i motherboard and love it =D. I run the normal nvidia temp program which lists gpu1 and 2 and cpu, which is easy to understand but then i have system and mcp, thats where my question is. I know Mcp stands for multimedia and communications processor but what exactly is it? is it the north bridge? is it the south bridge? or is it both bridges (aka is the temp an average for both chips)? I noticed temp on it is kinda high at 60 c is that normal? or not? I was thinking about getting an aftermarket chipset cooler that will fit in with my current liquid cooling system. I had two 8800 gt's running at 70 c each but i smart enough to know at 70 c+ wouldnt be running anything for to long; soo I liquid cooled them and now their a rock solid 38C. Now my next question. What is the system temp exactly reading? is that the north bridge and mcp south? or is mcp north and system south? or is mcp a average of both north and south and system a random spot on the motherbaord like voltage chips? If u could help me unconfuse myself thatd be great lol. Its a topic probably well known to you tech guys but to someone like me just coming into performance custom area it is rather confusing, again thanks for your time and help =D

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
MCP Is the South bridge
SPP Is the North bridge.

As a side note 70 Celsius for a GPU is perfectly acceptable/Normal… they run far hotter then CPU’s

lankiller

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
ty very much for making that clear. One last question, is 60 C normal for a mcp?

Also does that mean that the system is temp reading is the north bridge? im thinking soo but not positive on it

side note i know many say 70c is ok for 8800gt but still kind of makes me nerevous thats kind of high to me but guess its all my personal preference. I do know some new gpu's run at 80-90c which is like crazy to me but then again i didnt design it soo have no clue what temps its capable of =/ ahh better be safe then sorry i always say.. smack nice fat cooler on it.