[SOLVED] Modern GPU Power Connectors?

Apr 13, 2020
Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a rx 5700xt with my Christmas money and I just realized I may have a power problem. I have a 700w PSU which shouldn't be a problem, but what is a problem is that the only PCI power cable it has is a 6+2, and the 5700xt needs an 8 and a 6. What is my best option? (my last resort would be buying a new PSU as that would mean I can't get the 5700xt) Would an adapter such as 8 pin female (I would put my 6+2 into there) to an 8 pin and 6 pin male work? Does that even exist? Would I be fine just plugging the 6+2 into the 8 pin and leaving the 6 pin unplugged? What's my best option to power the GPU without having to get a new PSU?

Solution
I won't be back to the house with the PC for a while and therefore I won't be able to check the PSU. It's older, and not even 80+. Maybe it is a good idea to get a new one.

Yeah, if it's that old that it's not even 80+, it's almost certainly an old group-regulated PSU that shouldn't be run on anything remotely modern. I wouldn't be running one with your current system from the specs below.

RealBeast

Titan
You do need to connect both GPU power connectors.
What model PSU do you have and does it have any free power cables, either modular not in use or connected but not used? You may have to go with an adapter, the type depends on what you have available to go to a 6 pin male.

Apr 13, 2020
What exact psu is it? Not having the right connectors is a strong indication it is inadequate. There is more to a psu that the wattage label on the side, some crap units can’t really deliver 1/2 their wattage rating.
I won't be back to the house with the PC for a while and therefore I won't be able to check the PSU. It's older, and not even 80+. Maybe it is a good idea to get a new one.

Apr 13, 2020
Yeah, as sizzling notes, this is a massive red flag. A 700W PSU that's legitimately a 700W PSU in a modern sense ought to have somewhere around 3-4 8+2 connectors.
This one looks decent. Do you think this will adequate, and does it have the cables I need?

PC:
R5 3600x
x470 gaming plus
RX580 (Planning to upgrade to rx5700xt ofc)
16gb of RAM

all other specs should pretty much be irrelevant for power consumption

DSzymborski

Titan

Yeah, if it's that old that it's not even 80+, it's almost certainly an old group-regulated PSU that shouldn't be run on anything remotely modern. I wouldn't be running one with your current system from the specs below.

Solution
Apr 13, 2020
Which one?
I'm stupid and forgot the include the link lol. https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-CV65...=1609606672&sprefix=650+watt+p,aps,208&sr=8-2

If you don't feel comfortable clicking the link, it's the
CORSAIR CV Series CV650 - 650 Watt Power Supply, CP-9020211-NA.

By the way, I have now decided to go with an Asus Rog Strix 5600xt. My main concern is that the included cables for this psu shows it includes 8 pin pci (6+2) but the card I'm getting seems to have a 6 and an 8.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm stupid and forgot the include the link lol. https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-CV650-650-Power-Supply-CP-9020211-NA/dp/B0838YDBP3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1EZY8B0A7ARAH&dchild=1&keywords=650+watt+power+supply&qid=1609606672&sprefix=650+watt+p,aps,208&sr=8-2

If you don't feel comfortable clicking the link, it's the
CORSAIR CV Series CV650 - 650 Watt Power Supply, CP-9020211-NA.

By the way, I have now decided to go with an Asus Rog Strix 5600xt. My main concern is that the included cables for this psu shows it includes 8 pin pci (6+2) but the card I'm getting seems to have a 6 and an 8.

It does have two connectors on the cable. However, this is not a good power supply for this. The CV/VS series are much improved over the old VS line, but they're also entry-level PSUs and I wouldn't use them for power-hungry GPUs or GPUs that cost a significant amount of money. For a 5600 XT/480, I wouldn't go any Corsair PSU below a CX and for a 5700XT, only TX or better.

There's a curated PSU tier list housed here, sticked in the Power Supplies forum. Tier A or Tier B for the 5600XT would be appropriate.

Apr 13, 2020
Hey guys, I really am all over the place now, sorry. Just did some research. This gigabyte PSU has everything I need. It has 4x 6+2 PCI connectors, an 8 pin CPU, 6 sata, and all the other normal cables. And for those of you wondering, I went with a Asus Rog Strix 5600xt. It's already overclocked pretty high from factory, so I should get similar performance to
It does have two connectors on the cable. However, this is not a good power supply for this. The CV/VS series are much improved over the old VS line, but they're also entry-level PSUs and I wouldn't use them for power-hungry GPUs or GPUs that cost a significant amount of money. For a 5600 XT/480, I wouldn't go any Corsair PSU below a CX and for a 5700XT, only TX or better.

There's a curated PSU tier list housed here, sticked in the Power Supplies forum. Tier A or Tier B for the 5600XT would be appropriate.
Does the gigabyte p650b work? It seems to have everything. (and btw I went with a 5600xt strix so 6+8 pin for power.)

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-ATX12V-Bronze-Certified-GP-P650B/dp/B079SSKYWB/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1EZY8B0A7ARAH&dchild=1&keywords=650+watt+power+supply&qid=1609606672&sprefix=650+watt+p,aps,208&sr=8-6

also thank a lot for your help.