Question Monitor display is turning off abruptly whilst desktop is running in background

Jul 28, 2023
My pc build consists of a ryzen 5 3600 paired with 16 gb ddr4 ram (dual channel), a 650w psu and a Colorful iGame RTX 3070. After playing any type of light or heavy game for at least half an hour, my monitor display goes kaput. However, I can hear background sound coming, indicating that my desktop hasn't stopped any activity. After some time, I can hear some of the programs terminating (game, discord) and the system restarts and everything returns back to normal. The problem persists anytime I go back to gaming as mentioned above. The games I play at the moment aren't necessarily that graphically demanding, such as Honkai Star Rail and Overwatch 2.

I've tried to troubleshoot by replacing rams on different slots, trying different monitors, updating bios, graphics drivers and so on, but the issue still exists (even Windows reinstall). Under load my gpu temperature often reaches a max temperature of 86 degrees and has an average temperature of 65. I tried using a 1070ti with more or less the same load and the problem did not occur. I suspect it could be a gpu issue but I'm still posting in this community for better advice and support.

NanoSuit3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
It's power; with a 3070 installed, power requires at best 750-800 Watts but with a 1070 Ti best power requires 500 Watts so................I always look at power first before anything even if it's the most obvious thing. "Can't have too much power"

Jul 28, 2023
Thing is, I've used this GPU flawlessly with this psu for two years without any issue. This particular problem has been bugging me for the past 1 month. Even Nvidia's page recommends a 650w psu for rtx 3070.
It's power; with a 3070 installed, power requires at best 750-800 Watts but with a 1070 Ti best power requires 500 Watts so................I always look at power first before anything even if it's the most obvious thing. "Can't have too much power"

NanoSuit3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Well in likeness of it all, I got this too while playing Apex Legends back in S11. Screen would go blank and restart and play normally again until it does it again. Turned out to be Nvidia all along aside from me using actually a 650 Watt with a 2080 Ti and 9900KS at 5.2 GHz switched a few NCVP settings a switched to double the PSU and got flawless gameplay after. Sorry...........................

Reactions: tsugane