TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Just built a new computer. I'm having a problem with the monitor flickering. Same monitor as the old computer, Princeton AGX900 19", about 4 years old. Went from a 16mb TNT card to a Sapphire 256mb Radeon Atlantis 9600 card. I'm using an Omega driver. I've had the refresh rate up as high as 100mhz, but the flicker is still just slight enough to bug the @!@#@# out of me. Did not have this problem with it connected to the old machine.

Any Suggestions ???

Thanks

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Replace your eyeballs with ones that aren't bothered by 100hz, like the other 99.9% of us.

Seriously though, are you sure its changing refresh rates when you change it in the control panel? Do you notice it in games and windows explorer, or just one of the 2?

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Mostly in IE6, usually stuff with white or light background.

Like I said the flicker just started with the new computer, same monitor. So it is not the monitor.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Ya know, I'm not sure, but I'm gonna say the reason you're experiencing this now and didn't on the TNT is that the RAMDACs on your new card are much better and are made with much tighter tolerances, and maybe the TNT was bleeding images or had a lazy refresh rate or something.

This is either being caused by a software problem, your card, or your monitor. You can RMA your card and see if a new one does it also. You can also format your HD and see if it still happens. If neither of those are the cause, you need a new monitor. My above explanation reveals how it could still be a monitor problem even though you didn't experience it on the old card.

I suggest you try another (crt) monitor, as that will rule in or rull out the monitor as the cause, without you having to format or RMA your card.

Monitors vary in the type and amount of phosphorous used on the screen, if there's not enough, it won't hold an image long enough and makes flashing more readily apparent. This is why some monitors advertise "flicker free operation" even at 60hz, their phosphorus holds the image for a long time and the images bleed. The downside is known as 'trailing', or 'ghosting'.

Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Tried the Sappaire driver same flicker with the Princeton monitor. Installed an old 15" NEC monitor -- No Flicker. Princeton monitor back on the old computer no flicker. So it appears the Video Card and Monitor don't like each other. But I hate to replace the monitor, without knowing for sure.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Yeah, neither of the things you did (trying an old monitor on ur new comp, trying the princeton on an old comp) rule in or out any possibilities. What were the specs of the computer you tried the princeton on?

The NEC could have more phosphorous and therefore not appear to flicker with your new computer.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
lower your refresh rate to a normal 75Hz, it will fix the problem (which is monitor based)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I've tried the refresh rate everywhere from 60 to 100.

But when I change the rate, nothing appears to change. The flicker gets no worse or better, no matter the refresh rate. Like the windows control panel is not affecting the monitor.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
That's very possible. Where are you setting the refresh rate? Go to your ATI control panel and go to displays. Uncheck the button that says "DDC Info". Select what you know is the monitors max resolution, and max refresh rate (if you don't know it just put 100, as that's as high as you'd run it). Now try setting the refresh rate.

I should have asked this sooner but what (if any) Catalyst drivers do you have installed for the card? Make sure you get/have the latest (4.5s) off ATI's website, www.ati.com.
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Willamette_Sucks on 05/18/04 00:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>