Monitor makes a buzzing noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachwildcat

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
So originally the monitor wouldnt even come on and made a buzzing noise when trying to come on. In faint lettering it said power saving mode. Now the monitor appears to be on but nothing displays. Continues to make a buzzing noise etc.... whats going on? Its a dell monitor and any way to fix this issue or no?

Shine a flash light on it and see if you can see image or the power saving move when it first comes on.

If the backlight fails, the screen will come on, but look black.

As far as buzzing, many monitors will do it(CCFL lit ones), but normally you have you have to have your head right near it to hear.

If you backlight has failed, it can be replaced, but is not a beginners job. Sometimes you may be better off looking to replace it in this case(more so if it was very old and you would not mind an upgrade anyway.).

zachwildcat

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
This is certainly a puzzle. I cant see anything when doing the above you suggested. I noticed when I unplug the monitor though and then turn it on (of course always make a humming or buzzing noise when pushing the power buttong btw) I can see the color scheme display and then goes away... but when its plug in it doesnt display anything. Also, i have two other monitors tested them with the same cord and everything so I know its not a hardware issue.

You are better off buying another monitor and they are dirt cheap, chances are besides having bad caps the coil inductors could be bad as well in the monitor's psu.

You could give it a try just for kicks but like most flat screen lcd tvs such monitors once they start buzzing they are already on their way to failure.

I have screens that have buzzed for years(5+ easy).

Maybe I have hyper-active hearing or something but even the HP printer power supply buzzes.

But yeah, replacement is a good idea in my book if you are not willing to mess with it. Also CCFL driven screens have rather high voltage to deal with.(600 volts or more in many cases)

tfcvgy

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
I think that you should just replace the monitor.
It would cost a lot to get it repaired. I have an old Samatron monitor manufactured in may 1992.
When I hooked it up to my HP Pavilion 8240, it made a buzzing sound. On other computers (Gateway Essential 500, Compaq Desk Pro, and some weird thing my uncle built) it worked fine. Usually buzzing sounds have to do with frequencies. The computer should be set for 50 hertz. But in your case, i think you should just replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.