Question Monitor "no signal" or PC turns off and on repeatedly after every time i move it.

Sep 2, 2024
This is driving me insane!

This happens to me every time i move the pc from one place to another:
I try to turn on the pc again, but it turns on and off repeatedly.
I remove one of the ram slots, clean it, and put it back. This sometimes solves the issue, other times the issue becomes "pc turns on but no monitor signal". When that happens, i usually do a random combination of the following for 2 hours or so and it magically solves itself for no one apparent reason:
-remove one of the ram slots and clean it or its slot with a tissue
-move the GPU (or the monitor's cable connected to it) repeatedly.
-reset the CMOS
-turn the case to be sitting vertically instead of horizontallly (or vice verca)

So i basically keep doing a combination of the four while repeatedly turning the pc on to check if it works now, for 2 hours or (in this case) even more. Been doing this circus for 3 years, i'm sick of this nonsense. I want to solve this once and for all.

One thing i suspect to be the reason is that the GPU chassis is heavy and sometimes moves drastically when seating the case upwards/bellywards. The iron on the case also interrupts the DisplayPort cable a little bit. It directly touches it when the case is seates upwards. This causes the case to electricute me during use.

But then why does the problem sometimes gets solved by moving/cleaning the RAM then? Or other times by resetting the CMOS?
And how can i solve this once and for all?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

But then why does the problem sometimes gets solved by moving/cleaning the RAM then? Or other times by resetting the CMOS?

This would indicate that you have either a grounding issue(whereby you have static charge buildup) or you live in a very dirty environment whereby carbon deposits are hindering the rams from being recognized. It could also mean your motherboard is pending a BIOS update.

Sep 2, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

This would indicate that you have either a grounding issue(whereby you have static charge buildup) or you live in a very dirty environment whereby carbon deposits are hindering the rams from being recognized. It could also mean your motherboard is pending a BIOS update.
touching my case's ports or screws does electricute me. so i'm suspecting it is indeed the static buildup.

i know nothing about static in electronic equipment, does this damage my PC parts over time in any way? and how do i go about fixing it if you don't mind explaining?

touching my case's ports or screws does electricute me. so i'm suspecting it is indeed the static buildup.

i know nothing about static in electronic equipment, does this damage my PC parts over time in any way? and how do i go about fixing it if you don't mind explaining?
Static electricity can be felt only for very short time like millisecond, if you feel it for longer time there's something wrong in your PSU as that's only place with high voltage, everything else is at most 12v. There's nothing in there to induce static electricity but high frequency can have similar effect ans feel. In any case, proper ground to CPU should take care of it.
I would start with PSU, either get it checked or replaced. If anything happens or changes after moving PC it stands to reason that something is loose in there, possibly even inside PSU.