[SOLVED] Monitor won't stay asleep. Power light turns back on but screen goes black ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayman88

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2013
Issue:
I have set my monitors to turn off after 5 mins, and the PC is set to "never" sleep. At five minutes the monitors will turn off and sleep, and the monitor indicator light will turn orange (sleep state), but only for a few seconds. After a few seconds the indicator light will turn white (full power on state) but the screen remains black. So nothing is being displayed, but the monitors are definitely not sleeping as indicated by the light. I have done searched online but not found a solution yet.

Additional info:
-This is a fresh install of Windows 10 Home(x64) version 20H2 (19042.804)
-My monitor drivers are installed (Asus ProArt 27" monitors PA278QV)
-Latest nVidia drivers installed (GeForce experience not installed, drivers only)
-USB selective suspend is Disabled in power options
-I have no gaming controllers installed (known to cause sleep issues)
-Monitors are connected via displayport

Let me know if you have any ideas or any additional questions about my setup. Cheers!

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your motherboard? What BIOS version are you currently on? You might want to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then with the latest drivers off of Nvidia's support site, install said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your GPU? A link to said GPU would help us two fold.

Jayman88

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2013
Hello there and thank you for replying.

My mobo is an MSI MEG x570 Unify, BIOS 7C35vA8 . BIOS was released in January. My GPU is the MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC, using driver version 461.4.

I have been experimenting with all sorts of software settings in BIOS and windows with no luck. I disconnected every single USB peripheral. I turned off every single background program I could find, also had no luck. What I did determine after swapping around hardware is the following:
-1 monitor connected via HDMI the monitor properly stays asleep
-1 monitor connected via DP the monitor properly stays asleep
-2 monitors connected, one via DP one via HDMI, the HDMI monitor sleeps properly the DP does not
-2 monitors connected, both via DP, neither monitor stays asleep

I have swapped out DP cables of different make/model, changed the DP version on the monitors software, tried different DP ports, but these all had no impact on my results.

Jayman88

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2013
So today I had access to other monitors with a DP connector. I hooked up 2 other monitors (an NEC and a BenQ both of different size, age, and resolution) and 1 of my original Asus monitors and....only the Asus isn't sleeping properly. So mystery one solved, but now I have no idea why the Asus isn't working properly. Asus drivers installed or not installed makes no difference, and I don't see a BIOS update online for the Asus. I wonder why the Asus has this problem....hope I can figure it out as they are well past their return date.

Jayman88

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2013
After some back and forth with Asus CS which is still ongoing but not yet fruitful, I decided to try out a set of 3 DP to HDMI cables which...actually...fixed the problem. So, it's still a mystery why using the DP monitor input is causing this problem, but at least the problem is resolved by plugging in to the HDMI monitor inputs.

I guess I can mark this one as solved, but in reality it's not. I am sure other people out there have discovered this bug and Asus should be fixing it, but for now my battle is over. I am happy to have pay 45 bucks in cables to get this fixed.

To repeat and for reference, this only happens with 2 or more monitors connected via DP at once. 1 DP works fine, 1 DP and 1 or 2 HDMI works fine. Not sure of this problem plagues other ProArt monitors but it's clear to me DP is the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.