Question Most USB ports not working, Need help quick!

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
So after a new hard drive installation after my old one failed, It seems that all of my Usb ports except the front two or not working
I have tried updating the Usb Hub, Turning of Power saver mode for them, Updated drivers by windows, Driver booster 7 and Driver easy with no result. In terms of use, I only need about 5 ports to work, And before this used them for Keyboard,mouse,Xbox 360 controller (sometimes use only) and a wifi dongle + power to a phantom power supply and headphones (connect via USB)
Aside from Updating I have turned off fast boot and all for windows, Updated windows to the latest version now
Also to mention that My Mouse and keyboard light up when connected to the non working ports, just they don't register any function.
Any help on this would be appreciated, I have not found a solution since the last few months now
for additional info- I have Optiplex 9020, with a gtx 750 ti OC edition installed, 8 gigs of ram, intel core i5 4570 3.2 GHz
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit is being used

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
If you're talking about the rear IO USB ports on the back of your case, chances are your motherboard is failing. That hard drive you replaced, did it have windows OS on it before or was it a secondary drive?
Yes it had windows on it, and no not only the rear IO ports, I have front four ports and about 6 back ports. All 6 back don't recognize the mouse/Keyboard but my devices can draw power from them, Also in the front only the right two function. While the left two don't

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
It is possible you zapped your motherboard with static electricity when installing your new drive. If you have a better motherboard with surge protection that might trigger the boards protection and you then need to disconnect power supply from power and then remove the CMOS battery for a good 15 minutes then put it back in and power it up again and see if the ports work. If not then your board is probably broken.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
It is possible you zapped your motherboard with static electricity when installing your new drive. If you have a better motherboard with surge protection that might trigger the boards protection and you then need to disconnect power supply from power and then remove the CMOS battery for a good 15 minutes then put it back in and power it up again and see if the ports work. If not then your board is probably broken.
Wouldn't a broken board also affect other processes such as processor functions, or total ports wipe out, The hard drive shouldn't function either then. I don't have any other mother board at the moment and am hoping there is a simple solution to fix this..

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
I just remembered something. Have you checked the USB Host controllers in Windows Device manager? Check if your devices is seen there. Connect everything to the back ports and re boot your PC then enter the device manager and select each device seen there and right click them and select scan for hardware changes.If your mouse can not be operated after the re boot then just move the mouse over to the front port and then check the other devices in device manager.

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
I just remembered something. Have you checked the USB Host controllers in Windows Device manager? Check if your devices is seen there. Connect everything to the back ports and re boot your PC then enter the device manager and select each device seen there and right click them and select scan for hardware changes.If your mouse can not be operated after the re boot then just move the mouse over to the front port and then check the other devices in device manager.
how do I even access the Manager without Keyboard and Mouse functioning?

ahmedsalmanbajwa

Reputable
May 5, 2018
Anyone who stumbles on this post, I found the solution
Restart Pc, Go to Bios, From there hook up your mouse only, Select System Configuration settings (or whatever it will be called for you) You should see that Only Usb 2.0 ports will be selected in the option for Ports. From there Select all options, Front/back/3.0 and save. Your ports should now be working