[SOLVED] Motherboard and CPU Power Supply

Jun 26, 2021
I have an Asrock H110 Pro BTC + motherboard. I have a server power supply with a breakout board that has 16 PCie (6 pin) ports and one 4 pin Molex. I'm trying to establish the required power connections for the motherboard and CPU.

For the motherboard - I'm using a 6 pin to 24 pin Cable from amazon. 6 pin connects to the PSU, the other end connects to the 24 pin on the motherboard. This doesn't look right and I'm wondering if there are other options to make this work besides ordering a new breakout board for the power supply.

For the CPU power (8 pin) to PSU (6 pin) I'm suing the following cable. This looks right but asking for confirmation from someone that this application makes sense to them. You'd think that a standard PCIE riser cable (6 pin to 6 + pin) would work but apparently the 8 pin on the CPU connector is different.

Lastly - For the SATA power connector i'm using the following cable - 4 pin from PSU to SATA power connection to my SSD. Does this look correct?

Thanks in advance for any help. I would send pictures of motherboard and PSU.....but that seems to be an issue in this forum.

Kelly

It's not an issue on this forum, it's just that people don't usually understand how to do it properly.

As to the rest, that all looks correct to me. As to whether adapting is advisable or safe, that is a different argument, but the cabling seems correct HOWEVER, from one PSU to the next the pinouts can be entirely different and you will probably want to try and find the pinout diagram for your power supply and make sure that the pinout on the cables are the same AND that the pinouts on the other end are correct as well. Since the majority of motherboard connections are standardized, it's most probable that those ends are fine but at the PSU end of things there could be significant differences in some cases, which tend to let out the magic smoke when they are not right.

Even many cable kits for power supplies from the same manufacturer end up having different pinouts at the PSU so that cables from one modular PSU from a given brand often won't work with another PSU from the same manufacturer even when it is a different model but from the same series in a larger or smaller capacity, or from an entirely different series altogether. Any cable that doesn't specifically come with a given power supply should be suspect until proven to have an identical pinout.

Cable solution #2: ok, although that assumes you don't use CPU that requires lots of power
Cable solution #3: ok, molex to SATA is well known solution, no problem here
But cable #1 - it won't even fit. It's for connecting standard ATX PSU 24 pin cable to 6 pin dell motherboards, while you are trying to connect 6 pin PSU cable to 24 pin motherboard (if I understood you right).

Jun 26, 2021
Cable solution #2: ok, although that assumes you don't use CPU that requires lots of power
Cable solution #3: ok, molex to SATA is well known solution, no problem here
But cable #1 - it won't even fit. It's for connecting standard ATX PSU 24 pin cable to 6 pin dell motherboards, while you are trying to connect 6 pin PSU cable to 24 pin motherboard (if I understood you right).
For #2 - Yes low power
For #1 - Any suggestions on how to get the right cable, or adapter to connect between either: 4 pin molex or a 6 pin PCIE to a 24 pin motherboard?