[SOLVED] Motherboard fails to post with 1 long, 3 short beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Hi all!
Two days ago I built a system for a friend (all new parts, see specs below) and today it started acting up, there was a weird line on the display and eventually it just black screened entirely.
I had my fingers crossed it was just a display/cable issue but after spending hours after working on this computer I am thinking it might be the motherboard here's why:
Tried 2 different GPUs (3060 ti & 1070 ti), system acted exactly the same.
Swapped RAM, tried out both sticks in every slot, sometimes it would post and I could enter windows for a few minutes, safe mode seems to have been better, but after a restart it once again fails to post without anything changing.
Tried different, known working RAM, still same result
Updated the BIOS, didn't fix anything.
The GPU of this new system (3060 ti) works perfectly fine in another, also AMD, system.
Here is a link to the beeps that I'm hearing

Specs of the computer:
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060 ti
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB@3200MHz C16)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Check the Gigabyte/Aorus section of the following link:

https://www.bullfrag.com/beeps-on-a...rboards-meanings/#GIGABYTE_AORUS_motherboards

From the link:

" One long beep followed by three short ones: AGP error (only on older boards with AGP sockets)."

And then the following link:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/agp-error.3737376/

Thanks for the reply!
The weird thing is, I tried to solve most of these things by using different RAM and RAM slots, and a different GPU that works perfectly fine...
Something I'm missing?

I also just did some 3dmark benchmarks on the new GPU and it ran fine without errors.

Ralston18

Titan
Noted: "Nvidia RTX 3600 ti "

What two GPUs failed to work and which GPU "ran fine without errors"?

And there were no beeps with the "different GPU" that ran fine - correct?

= = = =

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (new, refurbished, used)?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual: Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM must be installed in a specific slot.

Does the following link provide the applicable User Manual for your motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...x-v2_e.pdf?v=24d24cf9acc76ba2c833adbcf9dfc9c7

It does not appear that (per pages 9 and 10) that the motherboard has a "first slot" requirement.

However, since there are RAM related errors) double check that the RAM is indeed supported by the motherboard and correctly installed in the applicable RAM slots.

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Noted: "Nvidia RTX 3600 ti "

What two GPUs failed to work and which GPU "ran fine without errors"?

And there were no beeps with the "different GPU" that ran fine - correct?

= = = =

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (new, refurbished, used)?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual: Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM must be installed in a specific slot.

Does the following link provide the applicable User Manual for your motherboard?

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...x-v2_e.pdf?v=24d24cf9acc76ba2c833adbcf9dfc9c7

It does not appear that (per pages 9 and 10) that the motherboard has a "first slot" requirement.

However, since there are RAM related errors) double check that the RAM is indeed supported by the motherboard and correctly installed in the applicable RAM slots.

So to clear the GPU thing out.
On the new system none of the two GPUs worked (the 3060 ti and a 1070 ti), but they both work fine on a different system.
The PSU is a Seasonic 650W that's brand new, voltages should be alright.
And the RAM (CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16) was on the QVL list so it should work perfectly fine with this mobo.

Edit: The new GPU is a RTX 3060 ti, my bad for the typo!

Last edited:

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Quick update:
Tried swapping CPUs (using a 3700X instead of the 5600X) and nothing changed...
BUT
Now using a different GPU makes it post without any problems, even though the GPU that is causing problems (RTX 3060) in the new system works fine in a different system...
So it's either the mobo or the GPU that's causing issues?

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Another update:
I tried using a much older, simpler, Quadro GPU I had laying around, and that worked flawlessly...
As that one doesn't have a power connector, and the other graphics cards that did need an additional power connector didn't work with the system, I realized I should've been smarter and check the PSU first!
Low and behold:
iIqi6Cm.jpg

Pushing the connector in properly fixed all the issues I had with this system!
So anyone facing similar issues always check the PSU first!!

Status
Not open for further replies.