Sep 2, 2021
Hello. Sorry for my English.

1. I have an i5 10400 Q0 processor with integrated graphics. It is the 10th generation. Will all the m2 slots on the motherboard below work with this processor (the motherboard was designed for 11th gen processors but works with the 10th as well, according to the spec on the website)? Or will the SSD disk not start? And will the i5 10400 Q0 processor work?

2. Comment on the news. Do the listed motherboards have this problem? Does the problem extend to the 10th generation on these motherboards as well?

Owners of budget motherboards on the Intel B560 chipset may experience a severe drop in performance of Core 11 generation processors. Their frequency can be more than 50% lower than nominal due to incorrect basic BIOS settings, and even changing them can not completely solve the problem.

3. Gigabyte motherboards:

Q0 stepping processors are made by scrapping the ten-core Intel Core i9-10900K. They use solder for crystal cooling.
Processors with stepping G1 are made by using a six-core Coffee Lake generation chip, which came out in 2017. Inside is thermal paste.

My processor is i5 10400 Q0. The specs on these motherboards only indicate support for the i5 10400 G1. Surely the motherboard will not work on a Q0 processor? Isn't this a mistake on Gigabyte's website?

4. SSD KINGSTON NV1 SNVS/1000G 1Tb / SNVS/500G 500 Gb work with these motherboards? A good SSD?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1| The M.2 slots will work, the only thing here is that if you want PCIe 4 x4 speeds, you're going to need an 11th gen processor. You should still be able to work with a PCIe 3 x4 SSD. Might I ask why you're confining yourself to ASRock on this build? You should look at other makers too.

2| I can't say, since some boards tend to have bad batches during an assembly process.

3| ... wait!

If you know that the Q0 stepping is bad and that it's a derivative of the i9, then you're best off either selling it or dropping it into a higher end motherboard due to it's power requirements. In fact with what's been stated you're going to require either a lot of fans or exotic cooling to tame the heat off of it, just to make the build worthwhile. That is an exact opposite of what a budget build is supposed to be.

You're looking at mini itx boards, what is the make and model of your case?

4| I'd pick anything else apart from Kingston since they tend to lie about their speeds. Even instances where review samples were cherry picked to get favorable numbers/reviews before launching a bad product which was worse than the reviewers got.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021
Тhank you.

1. I have a Fractal Design node 202 case.
Only Asrock and Gigabyte have suitable Mini-ITX motherboards for Intel 10/11th Generation processors. These motherboards support RAM overclocking (which I have listed). And they are cheaper in my country than a Z490 motherboard.

3. I ordered an i5 10400 Q0 but have not paid yet. I read that Q0 is better than G1 because there is no thermal paste inside which can dry out and its temperatures can be a bit lower. Is this true? Or is the G1 better? I don't want to have to change the thermal paste inside the processor in years to come.

4. The main SSD I would like to get is a Samsung, for example. Any other good SSD manufacturers and models? The Kingston SSD I wanted to buy and use for different files (garbage).

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

1| The M.2 slots will work, the only thing here is that if you want PCIe 4 x4 speeds, you're going to need an 11th gen processor. You should still be able to work with a PCIe 3 x4 SSD. Might I ask why you're confining yourself to ASRock on this build? You should look at other makers too.

2| I can't say, since some boards tend to have bad batches during an assembly process.

3| ... wait!

If you know that the Q0 stepping is bad and that it's a derivative of the i9, then you're best off either selling it or dropping it into a higher end motherboard due to it's power requirements. In fact with what's been stated you're going to require either a lot of fans or exotic cooling to tame the heat off of it, just to make the build worthwhile. That is an exact opposite of what a budget build is supposed to be.

You're looking at mini itx boards, what is the make and model of your case?

4| I'd pick anything else apart from Kingston since they tend to lie about their speeds. Even instances where review samples were cherry picked to get favorable numbers/reviews before launching a bad product which was worse than the reviewers got.

Sep 2, 2021
The Z590M-ITX/ax motherboard says:

• 1 x Hyper M.2 connector (M2_1), supporting M Key 2280 M.2 PCIe devices up to Gen4x4 (64Gb/s) (Socket M2_1 with 11th generation Intel® Core™ only)*
  • 1 x Ultra M.2 connector (M2_2), supporting M.2 SATA3 6.0Gb/s M Key 2280 and M.2 PCIe devices up to Gen3 x4 (32Gb/s)

Does that mean only one m2 slot will work with the i5 10400? There are 2 slots on this motherboard.