Question Mouse and Keyboard stop working when installing Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drowning Doom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
This has me pretty stumped. I bought a SSD, installed it, and installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Got into Windows and everything was fantastic. Installed all the Windows updates, video card drivers, ect...

Then, rebooted the computer and lo and behold, it doesn't recognize the SSD as a valid boot device anymore. Assuming that the install was corrupted somehow, I decided to run startup repair on the Windows 7 disk. However, once the disk gets past "Windows is loading files" all the lights on my mouse and keyboard shut off and they stop working.

However, up until that point they work fine, if I go into BIOS they work no problem. I have no idea what the issue is... I literally JUST used this same disk to install Windows 7 and had no issues less than 30 minutes ago. The only advice I've been able to find thus far has been to ensure that legacy USB settings are enabled, and they are.

Also, if I boot into windows on a different drive that has the OS installed, my mouse and keyboard work just fine in Windows as well.

As it stands now, I cannot fix my Windows install or even reinstall Windows. Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a symptom of having your mouse and keyboard plugged in to USB3 ports. Windows 7 DVD does not have drivers for USB3, that's why the lights go out. You need to locate the USB2 only port/s on your computer and plug the keyboard and mouse into them while running the repair.

Hint: USB3 ports are blue. USB2 ports are not blue.

Reactions: AtomOfUniverse

Drowning Doom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I've checked that as well. They are plugged into USB2 ports. Also of note is the fact that the mouse and keyboard worked perfectly fine 30 minutes prior to this when I installed Windows 7 using the same install disk.

Drowning Doom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I've also checked for malware and viruses using multiple programs. I'm pretty sure I've run through all the basic stuff, I'm very computer literate. I'm just wondering what I could be missing. Anything more advanced I might have overlooked? Not that I don't appreciate the other advice, keep it coming, never know what I might have spaced out on :D

Also, I'm now in windows on my old hard drive with the SSD hooked up and the SSD works perfectly fine. Windows sees it, I can install to it and run programs off of it. So the SSD is working fine just to rule that out as a possibility.

cwenk

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
I'm doing a fresh install of windows on an entirely new system. When I get to the 'Install Windows' screen where I select language, etc, my keyboard and mouse both stop working.

They work fine when in BIOS. I have legacy enabled and they are plugiged into USB 2 slots on the I/O on the mobo.

I wish you luck my friend, for both of our sake.

Have you tried using a PS/2 keyboard /mouse? I have googled around and seen that suggested. I don't have my hands on one, and don't feel like buying one at the moment just so that I can install windows.

Drowning Doom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Yep sounds like your having the same issue as me since that's pretty much when my mouse and keyboard stop working.

I don't have access to any PS/2 mouse/keyboard and even if I did my Sabertooth Z77 doesn't have any PS/2 ports so that option is completely off the table for me.

Hopefully someone can help us figure this out...

cwenk

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Update: So the USB-PS/2 Adapter for my keyboard does allow my keyboard to work with the windows installation.

You don't have a PS/2 port for your mobo?

Drowning Doom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Nope, many newer motherboards don't have PS/2 ports. It's unfortunate because even though PS/2 has been pretty much been phased out it comes in handy for troubleshooting issues such as this.

Matt J Young

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
Hi, was just wondering if anyone managed to resolve this problem as I have the exact same issue. I know this thread is a little old but any information will help as I can't seem to find anyone with the same issue as me anywhere. I have a PS/2 port on my motherboard but do not have a PS/2 keyboard as of yet, but if anyone can link me to a solution or give me some advice I would be very grateful!

Flds Dss

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Look how i fixed same problem .
First i enter in uefi bios then i load setup defaults then i reset and enter again in bios and i setup the device priority to boot first stick/dvd depends how u install windows ,and at me will recognize kit of mouse and keyboard ,sometimes will take a while in installation screen to load driver for mouse and kb ,i hear some people waited for 15 minutes to load drivers for mouse and no icon to indicate he will load drivers ,just u need patience .

Flds Dss

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
And i forgot to mention ,i allways use usb 2.0 ports below the ethernet connection .Some new mobo's have bugs with usb ports that's why happening this especially at old windows 7 ultimate boot.With new versions of windows after 2012 year release should not have problems .Only the old windows setup disc's especially those who was released before ur mobo.

wodnild

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
I had this problem too, on a Dell XPS 8700. I thought I'd fixed it by using the USB2 ports on the top of the case, instead of the two by the network port. That worked OK, and the mouse and k/b didn't disappear. But then I had to reinstall later (for an unrelated reason) and had the disappearing kb/mouse again, even using those two top ports. SO my solution was to connect TWO keyboards and TWO mice, one pair in the top and one in the back. Then it worked. Actually all 4 devices continued to work through the Win7 install.

brian1975

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
My solution was simply to reset the UEFI setting. I have no clue to why this worked. The mouse and keyboard worked fine in the UEFI, but after the windows 7 install had loaded some files they both turned off. At first I tried all the USB-ports (Both front and back) with the same result, a dead mouse and keyboard. So I tried to reset the UEFI to default and now I could install windows.

kenax

Reputable
May 8, 2014

Somewhat related I guess. Will look into UEFI. Was also thinking of trying a bluetooth keyboard and mouse next time i go to the computer shop, although i noticed in my device manager that this was not working (I never use it). My problem:
I installed w7 on a macair so that I can do both, as I need Windows for work and use mac for video editing. Everything worked like a charm for about half a year until, BAM, while working in W my keyboard and trackpad stopped working. I thought a restart might help so did that, but when entering the bootcamp screen my keyboard still did not work. So I was forced to wait until the timeout finished and it started automatically in mac. There my keyboard and trackpad worked fine. While there I spent a few hours reading up on the issue and it seems that there is some issue with the machine's USB 3.0. Usually I have everything set to "notify me of upgrades and wait for my decision". Perhaps something automatically updated the USB 3 driver, but some forums (with this precise mac/W problem) were discussing that the solution was to uninstall some Extreme USB 3 hub etc. Another forum suggested using an external keyboard to get into Windows to solve the problem. Because I thought this might happen again, I went out of my way to buy a portable, rollup keyboard. This worked and I was able to use the cursor key at bootcamp startup (bootcamp installs on the mac OS and through this can install W7 after a partition of the disk, startup in Windows is direct and not virtual within a running Mac OS, which is also possible) to startup in Windows. Now I'm in W with this extremely difficult-to-use keyboard, but at least I'm in, and from memory of reading the forums I thought I'd try the uninstall USB 3 Extreme (the name looked like Extreme but not exactly - can't remember now). I was rather hesitant, worried that I'd lose my two USB, so I created a system restore point. Even so, I was still worried, because without functional USB slots, how the heck was I supposed to get back into W?
And that is precisely where I am now. A beautiful machine with no arms and legs for Windows. The external mouse and keyboard (other keyboards were tried) worked up to a certain point when booting from an install disk (I put an external CD rom with the original Windows7 install disk into one USB and external keyboard into the other USB), whereby I am staring at the language option window and where I can press Install. After pressing Install, according to suggestions on the web, I would press Repair and then choose the restore point to just before, albeit insufficient trepidation, I uninstalled the USBs. So close yet so far. Tried putting in other keyboards, external mouse, obviously had to keep the CD rom in there so couldn't remove that from one of the two USBs. Not sure why I still saw that screen because, if the USBs stopped working at that point, would not the connection to the external CD rom be severed and the screen disappear? Should I try an external USB hub so that I can put more devices into the left USB slot where the CD rom seemed to still function? 
When logged into mac I have read-only access to possibly all my files on the Windows partition. Would rather not reinstall W because of this minor issue. If I can just get to the restore point I'll be back in Windows with the crappy keyboard, and then can at least continue with my experimentations. Strange but thankfully the power button still works on the machine's keyboard, otherwise i would have to dismantle it and rip out the battery, as it is not accessible on this machine. 
And if you are curious, yes, I find myself in these quite absurd situations on a fairly regular basis, and it does not necessarily have to concern the computer. Looking forward to some suggestions. :)

neuxix36

Reputable
May 19, 2014
Hi, I have the same issue regarding my pc after windows update but the only thing that was lost is my keyboard controls, i can install hardware it keeps on failing, however i tried uninstalling and re installing my devices nothing and works i even tried system recovery. nothing works :(

I tried running my system on safe mode, tried going to device manager, re-installing undetected(unknown devices) and it worked, tried resetting my pc and run in normal mode.. now it works.. i think if both the keyboard and mouse is not working try using a ps2 mouse then try this, if it works. I am not an IT, I just keep on exploring what is on my PC out of my curiosity. I hope somebody will benefit on this someday!

neuxix36

ramniwas painkra

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014

adamjw2

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014

I fixed this by going into BIOS and changing USB setting, "EHCI Hand-off" to Enabled. I have an Asus board. Hope this helps others as well.

JCIZZLE08

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

I was able to get it workng with your suggestion. Thanks for the help!

etonrifle

Reputable
May 6, 2015
This may help someone in future as I had tried every suggestion above, I was trying to downgrade windows from 64 bit to 32 bit on a DELL R7910.
In the end I disabled memory mapping above 4GB in the BIOS and it worked.
What was happening was the system was allocating memory to the mouse and keyboard that could not be seen by the 32 bit OS CD.

bardell_c

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

I have an ASUS Z97 and this solved my problem. It is odd though as I have never had an issue with any of the ASUS motherboards. Oh well, thank you for the solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.