[SOLVED] Moving Windows and all files to new M.2

DerpyJ

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Hey!
I just got a new 500gb M.2, and I am hoping to move all of my files and Windows installation on my current 500gb SSD to my new M.2, and then wipe the old SSD to keep for storage. I'm not sure if I should migrate or clone the old drive, or if I should just do a fresh os instal. How would you recommend I go about this?
Thanks.

Solution
I would clone a drive only...
if its close to the same specs SSD (SSD to SSD)...HDD (HDD to HDD)...etc...

The worst thing you can do is to clone HDD to SSD ( leads to poorly performing SSD, compared to new installation).
SSD to SSD is not as impactfull but still, if the ssd's are pretty different it might be big difference (it might imact your: copy speed, read speed, windows loading times...etc).

I advice new installation, if you want to be sure your M.2 is at full possible utilization.
What is the exact model of the M.2?

The worst thing you can do is to clone HDD to SSD ( leads to poorly performing SSD, compared to new installation).
SSD to SSD is not as impactfull but still, if the ssd's are pretty different it might be big difference (it might imact your: copy speed, read speed, windows loading times...etc).

I advice new installation, if you want to be sure your M.2 is at full possible utilization.

Solution

DerpyJ

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

I got a Sabrent Rocket M.2 2280. If I did a fresh install, how could I move the files on my current drive to the M.2?
Thanks for the reply!

popatim

Titan
Files?

Pics, Videos, Music, documents... you just copy and paste.

Games that use launchers, like Steam, work similarly but Steam has a 'Move' function built into move the game for you. Other launchers you can google for how to move the game, some are just copy & paste

Applications will need to be reinstalled. When you install them, they write entries into the registry and the users hidden appdata folder which makes copying and pasting them not end well usually.