Mozilla Says Microsoft Went Too Far With Windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When Mozilla is worried "...this needlessly forces users into trying products they may not want" (e.g. Edge browser) they sound like a company that doesn't want to do things to compete. If they try it and don't like it, they can switch their default browser no problem.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Has anybody here looked into the privacy stuff about windows 10? I mean they aren't even agreeing to aggregate your personal information and make it anonymous before they sell it to advertisers. It also has a lot of really scary things that it collects form you by default, even connecting to random unsecured wifi connections by default, and sharing your wifi password with your contact list by default. Not all of these things can even be turned off either.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I believe when Windows was trying to open up a link, it asked which browser I wanted to use. And even if I went straight for Firefox (Which was kept on my task bar), it should've known it was no longer the default browser and ask if it would like to be it.

In other words, Microsoft may have changed a setting, but they weren't really forcing Edge on me.

Really no different than apps you agree to use on your cell phone as well as your cell phone's OS agreement. Have you ever checked that out?

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
That would be Mozilla's fault if the little “Set as default web browser” isn't an option in their browser. I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night and when I opened Chrome, the button was there. They're just looking for excuses for losing market share at this point.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Don't you hate when a new piece of software tries to install other bits of software you just don't care about, like adding toolbars, or changing your default search engine? It's kinda like that, except they don't ask or inform you. In most other cases that would be outright malicious. I think it's a valid complaint, especially if it puts a competitor at an unfair disadvantage - it is anticompetitive. Microsoft has already been charged and fined for antitrust in the EU for this very same antic.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Long time Firefox user and Mozilla supporter here. The first time you launch your favorite web browser (usually by clicking the shortcut) Windows asks you if you want to change the default browser to that.

They're just making an issue out of nothing here. I think Microsoft is pretty lousy most of the time, but in this particular case - Mozilla needs to relax.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
BTW: Mozilla was not completely correct.

If you choose Express Settings during the upgrade, Edge becomes your default browser. If you revert to Microsoft's recommendations...Edge becomes the default. (That should surprise no one.) But if you choose the Customize options...which I always have...you can turn off the default browser selection, and use whatever your current browser is.

Another thought. The default browser selector shows ALL your installed browsers. So you can turn off the "make this your default browser?" permanently in all of them where it's needed...and just do it here. That makes more sense, and will work better for us once we get used to it.
Nice to know this. Even though I could figure it out, I, for one, do not like having something foisted on me. I've not yet upgraded to 10, but it is on my list of things to do for the PCs I have at home.

In my opinion, the default should be to preserve existing settings. I know other technically astute commenters do not see it as a big deal, however, as I see it, it is this kind of behavior that has gotten M$ into trouble in the past. In this context, I see it as them getting an unfair boost for edge - even if it is a better browser, and if there is some sort of monetary boost for M$ to be doing this, then I see this as just one step short of coercion. As one other commenter said, the people who will be the most bothered by this are those who are not technically astute - like my father-in-law.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Ah jeez, here we go again. Microsoft kinda does have a damn good excuse regardless where they do this in the world. So they wanted to insure people would start out with a browser not infected with an excessive amount of toolbars and spyware. In this day and age it's not an unreasonable assumption. I had Firefox before the update. I went through the motions to set it back as default. I didn't feel any butthurt over the matter. You make my default browser... but don't try to force yourself as my default advocate.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

You obviously have not met my father-in-law. He completely fits the definition of the "most casual user" in every sense of the terms, but has absolutely no idea what a browser is even though he uses one.

Anyone using a smart phone has already fallen victim to these tactics. Why no animosity toward Apple and Google???

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
The default Windows 10 browser is created by Microsoft? This is an outrage.

Mozilla just needs to make their own OS. Fire with fire and all that.

They did. Its literally called FIrefox OS. Its for phones. You probably haven't seen it since they are only selling phones in South America and Asia predominantly, but it actually has a few million users now.

Let's say the topic of Windows 10's origins ever comes up in a discussion. That page would be relevant. They keep all of the old pages because they do get used once in a while.

Besides, the article wasn't "wrong" at the time. That was the information available then and that fact alone is worth keeping.

We don't burn historical texts on alchemy and such just because we know they're wrong. A bit of a stretch, but I think it gets the point across.

theking2

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
It seems that Mozilla got scared of a faster, reliable, user friendly browser. They shoudl focus there efforts getting a better browser.

Let call an open letter to Mozilla to stick what they used to be best at. Making a browser. (I've switched to opera long time ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.