[SOLVED] MSI BIOS Resolution Incorrect with DisplayPort

Oct 25, 2020
I have an MSI Meg X570 Unify Motherboard and an NVIDIA 2080Ti GPU. I have two monitors that only take HDMI input, so I bought 2 DisplayPort->HDMI cables. However in BIOS, the resolution is way too low, causing it to be unusable (text is randomly placed all over on top of other text, buttons are missing or on top of other buttons, it's a mess). When I use a regular HDMI->HDMI cable however, it works fine. Why is this happening, and is there any way to hard-code the resolution to force BIOS to use my native screen resolution of 1920x1080?

X0vHj2KcnYDwDjAMfsxg1Hcx7SekHObcRYsSmdmDMwcrZGLKQYDR5kKMIaOiJvmQ3pNhKNT7mDmdcZwjvQYvjbO6uT07uDvaHdqICAhB9d2tpxG-cpUZ-OgoJqZAD4ChvE7XlD3FMOUDmG8M95-dsHr5LDvMYwLhFhxuCNnhFrHelktnnTP8zRIqv4OpWJDMlzWdRRL-glZB-rnG86eSSYx6eiRFFV5JgpZC6kX9NPtRCi-KTFnLXBRwSYnsgRhfl6fOmAdcLatvfqPKDQuoILzqYfMRugIwaMeFTIjxCbU3BzaKlk4GN8MrV8KkZLeR8F9nTmQ3iqpotisT9dCBmwkwt3t7iTJU25Qj4enw8h86C0gKAcoTh13ljLcVdBCzL5F-fVZdPT3vnhncMRkzlg6gSRtiFtRUa8ySx9KqDH86I62JtGt0u00EDd260FEEOlaKJ2hTuTXj6VSC5jzLUJfPLoWHbEFVrv-deY7kJuIthw9y_cyP4p61mR8hSgmNpODolg0UbQDZJkVZu8dopLzrrkpUaetTxFWQgTl8YV62K5gIOUbKAMiZdFXmCnidTk1w5pTSCtEu3PYC8Drez60c5WJQZ6NBH3pTocvJrq5j_n3mGqQjQdNMiFUwJWCaN2fmJhvsYAiHDtdt9Fq1Ze4zcRsvOEmRRLaB_Uiq8xlEuKxH_4HYPK_QqDtWVA=w1488-h889-no

Solution
I have an MSI Meg X570 Unify Motherboard and an NVIDIA 2080Ti GPU. I have two monitors that only take HDMI input, so I bought 2 DisplayPort->HDMI cables. However in BIOS, the resolution is way too low, causing it to be unusable (text is randomly placed all over on top of other text, buttons are missing or on top of other buttons, it's a mess). When I use a regular however, it works fine. Why is this happening, and is there any way to hard-code the resolution to force BIOS to use my native screen resolution of 1920x1080?

Do you have active adapters? or passive? I don't know if that matters, but could. Does it display right if just one monitor is connected with hdmi-dp adapter cable?

Does the 2080 have one HDMI port and...
I have an MSI Meg X570 Unify Motherboard and an NVIDIA 2080Ti GPU. I have two monitors that only take HDMI input, so I bought 2 DisplayPort->HDMI cables. However in BIOS, the resolution is way too low, causing it to be unusable (text is randomly placed all over on top of other text, buttons are missing or on top of other buttons, it's a mess). When I use a regular however, it works fine. Why is this happening, and is there any way to hard-code the resolution to force BIOS to use my native screen resolution of 1920x1080?

Do you have active adapters? or passive? I don't know if that matters, but could. Does it display right if just one monitor is connected with hdmi-dp adapter cable?

Does the 2080 have one HDMI port and that's how the HDMI->HDMI cable works? Can you use that port for the first monitor and the HDMI-DP adapter for the second and it displays right?

Still, how much time do you spend in BIOS? I'd just swap the cable arrangement so it displays right when needed.

Too many questions LOL... it might also be more relevant to open a thread in the Graphics Cards forum.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 25, 2020

Does the 2080 have one HDMI port and that's how the HDMI->HDMI cable works? Can you use that port for the first monitor and the HDMI-DP adapter for the second and it displays right?

Still, how much time do you spend in BIOS? I'd just swap the cable arrangement so it displays right when needed.

Too many questions LOL... it might also be more relevant to open a thread in the Graphics Cards forum.

They are passive adapters. When I do HDMI on one and DisplayPort on the other, for some reason it decides to use the DisplayPort for BIOS so I have to unplug it to get BIOS on the right one. I suppose I'll just keep an HDMI cable plugged into my computer and swap out the cables to the monitor if I need to go into BIOS. Anyway, thanks for your response!