rgabor

Prominent
Oct 23, 2021
Hi! I bought and MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming OC graphics card.
The guy who sold me the card told me that it started giving out no signal when he tried to turn the pc on one day.
I installed it in my pc and there is indeed no signal. The msi logo lights up, fans start spinning, the gpu is heating up.
If I boot the pc with the integrated gpu enabled i can get to windows and the device manager lists the 980ti and I can even install the driver for it, but it doesnt't do anything.
The nvidia control panel doesn't open and msi afterburner isn't detecting it.
I disassembled and cleaned it to look for any signs of damage but I didn't find anything.
I also reflashed the vbios, it didnt help either.
What could be at fault?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Solution
There are certainly people repairing GPUs out there. PCB repair is a very specialized skill that requires expensive equipment and knowledge of circuit troubleshooting. Sourcing of parts is usually someone buying up many dead cards and harvesting them.

Being able to install the driver is actually encouraging. As was your seemingly successful flash of the card?

You might try leaving your display connected to the integrated graphics, going to the settings for each application, and forcing high performance mode. Basically treating your system like a laptop with a discrete GPU. It could be that only the clock generator or other feature is broken preventing the display output but not the GPU itself from working...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Might be that the one of the displays chips is fried rather than the connectors then. They’re not really replaceable. The fact Nvidia control panel and afterburner both won’t open suggests something deeply wrong with the card.

rgabor

Prominent
Oct 23, 2021
Might be that the one of the displays chips is fried rather than the connectors then. They’re not really replaceable. The fact Nvidia control panel and afterburner both won’t open suggests something deeply wrong with the card.
Yeah that sounds bad. I found it for a crazy low price so I thought I'd give it a shot but if that's the case I can't do anything with it other than reselling it to someone who knows how to repair a damaged gpu or for spare parts.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are certainly people repairing GPUs out there. PCB repair is a very specialized skill that requires expensive equipment and knowledge of circuit troubleshooting. Sourcing of parts is usually someone buying up many dead cards and harvesting them.

Being able to install the driver is actually encouraging. As was your seemingly successful flash of the card?

You might try leaving your display connected to the integrated graphics, going to the settings for each application, and forcing high performance mode. Basically treating your system like a laptop with a discrete GPU. It could be that only the clock generator or other feature is broken preventing the display output but not the GPU itself from working.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/103965-set-preferred-gpu-apps-windows-10-a.html

I suggest installing a benchmark like Unigine Valley and changing this setting, if possible for the application.

In the future, best not to gamble on known bad hardware.

Solution

rgabor

Prominent
Oct 23, 2021

You might try leaving your display connected to the integrated graphics, going to the settings for each application, and forcing high performance mode. Basically treating your system like a laptop with a discrete GPU.
I used a card like that before but there is a problem. In the settings where I can choose the gpu for a specific application only the integrated gpu is listed. The 980ti only shows up in the device manager.