Aug 19, 2023
Hi,

I'm having trouble with an MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk where the EZ Debug LED lights up solid red on the DRAM. The RGB lights up and the fans begin to spin, but there is no display output.

I have validated that the CPU, RAM, and PSU work perfectly on another motherboard, and there are no visible issues on the motherboard (bulging capacitors, shorted circuits etc.). I also have tried clearing the CMOS and tried cleaning the DIMM slots and the modules themselves.

The RAM I tested is Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz and unnamed 3000MHz HP DDR4.
The CPU I tested is an AMD Ryzen 5 4600G.
The power supplies I have tested are a Corsair CV650 and a Corsair VS650, both 2018 versions.

I eventually tried flashing the BIOS, but after pressing the Flash Bios Button the little red LED flashed slowly a few times before becoming solid red. The RGB lights did not cycle and the fans did not spin up even after an hour. I tried two more times with the same result, clearing the CMOS both times, but with the same result.

I checked the QVL for RAM and neither of mine are verified, but I see no reason why they wouldn't at least post.

I am very stuck and would very much appreciate your help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which slots are the rams populating on your motherboard? On the point about BIOS flashing, which BIOS version did you flash/reflash the motherboard with?

Per your motherboard's support list;
You merely need BIOS version 7C91vA1 to get the APU to work with your motherboard.

Even if the rams are not on the QVl, you should be able to get the system to POST with the ram running at DDR4-2133MHz.

Reactions: TheMooMan
Aug 19, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which slots are the rams populating on your motherboard? On the point about BIOS flashing, which BIOS version did you flash/reflash the motherboard with?

Per your motherboard's support list;
You merely need BIOS version 7C91vA1 to get the APU to work with your motherboard.

Even if the rams are not on the QVl, you should be able to get the system to POST with the ram running at DDR4-2133MHz.
I went back to the rig and tried to flash the bios with the earlier version but the board did not follow through.

The steps I took:

1) Formatting a 32GB USB stick to FAT32
2) Downloading the .zip from MSI
3) Extracting the AE0 file and copying it to the USB stick
4) Insterting the stick to the grey outlined USB port on the motherboard and holding the BIOS flash button for about five seconds

The result was the same, the little red LED flashed a few times before becoming solid until I switched off the power supply.

I tried with and without the CPU and RAM installed but got the same problem :/

I hope this helps!