[SOLVED] MSI MPG B550 wont boot to windows 10

Aug 15, 2021
Hey guys,

I have just finished building a new rig and I have run into a problem with booting to windows 10. I bought a 1Tb M.2 drive to put into my new motherboard and used the windows 10 installation USB to install it. Everything was going fine and updates were going through, even after restarting I still managed to get into windows. I removed my USB and powered off the computer for the night and this morning I hopped on to install some more software only to be greeted by the MSI logo while my PC was essentially stuck not loading into windows. I have checked the boot options within the BIOS (MSI Click BIOS 5) and my M.2 appeared to be on boot option 1 but just wouldn't boot, while the rest of the drives are also visible in the bios, but not on the boot options. I have my drives in the correct SATA ports, too and I can only assume that the M.2 is in the correct place. So I inserted my windows 10 installation USB and went to repair the computer, exited to windows (without repairing it), and it loaded fine? Can someone explain to me why this is happening and how I can ensure that windows 10 will boot without me having to go through those steps? Essentially what I'm asking is why will my windows 10 not boot unless there's an installation media USB inserted?

Apart from this one issue, my rig runs absolutely fine and nothing seems to be broken, I can even see all the drives in file explorer.

Thanks in advance,
HDITMetro
(Metro)

parts list:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VLqzQD

Are you sure of which drive Windows installed on? It's frequently a good idea to install Windows with only the system drive installed to know it's going exactly where you want.

Did you update BIOS and reset CMOS after building the new system?

Did you make the USB installation drive using the Media Creation tool recently?

Double check memory seating: 2nd and 4th from the CPU. They should be fully 'clicked' in place on both ends.

It might be helpful if you listed your hardware: CPU, exact motherboard model, memory, drive(s) in particular but also case, cooler, fans and PSU.

Aug 15, 2021
Thanks for getting back to me, apologies for the late reply, I've been working and trying to fix this! To answer your questions,

I have removed the drives that Windows 10 won't be installed on to make sure it's the correct drive (In the BIOS it tells me it's the M.2 that windows is installed on).

I have updated the BIOS and reset the CMOS.

I used an official Microsoft installation USB that I bought about 4 years ago, but I'm going to try using a new installer off of Microsoft's website.

My memory is firmly clicked into slots 2 and 4.

My hardware is listed above in the link but to save you clicking it, my specs are:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Dual
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I've built a few PC's in my life but I've never came across an issue like this. The only issue I've come across is windows 10 not updating to any of the latest versions, another reason why I'm going to create a new installation USB.

It should also be noted that I've taken the SSD, HDD, Power Supply, and Video Card from my previous build over to this one, but the rest of the parts are brand new.

I am currently going to try and re-install windows 10 onto my M.2 with a new media creation tool as I am also getting issues updating windows 10.

Again, thanks for the reply!

Thanks for all the help! Can I keep this thread open if the problem persists after re-installing windows?
Probably be best to open a new thread for new problems as that's what the mods tend to prefer.

I forgot to mention you can use the activation key that came with the original CD when using the Media Creation Tool. But it will only work (to activate) if it's a retail license or it's never been activated before if an OEM license. If it is an OEM license and won't activate you can continue to use it un-activated but with an annoying guilt-trippy watermark on the screen.

Aug 15, 2021
I can confirm this has fixed both the issue with windows updating, and my PC booting to my drive.

Once again, thank you for all the help, it's greatly appreciated!