Question MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080Ti GAMING X TRIO Graphics Card powers on but not detected by motherboard

May 16, 2020
I've just bought a 2080 ti to replace my now ageing 970, I've not felt the need to upgrade any of the other parts at this point and just splashed on the GPU.

Problem is that the 2080 is not being recognised on the motherboard (MSI Z97-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard) which is supposed to be compatible. The card is being powered as the lights on the card are on.
My PSU (Fractal Design Integra M 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply) should have enough wattage to cover the components

• I've ensured that the motherboard has the latest bios
  • I've had the 970 in the slot to ensure that the slot works
  • I've used both in the second slot and it's still not working
I've not got more than the 2 8x power cables, does the extra 6 pin power connector required?

Does anyone know why it wouldn't be being recognised?

Reactions: letsgetidon
May 15, 2020
I am possibly having a similar issue. But i already had my new build working, then just stopped. I'll let you know what i find out! I think my issue is faulty RAM, though..

May 15, 2020
I've just bought a 2080 ti to replace my now ageing 970, I've not felt the need to upgrade any of the other parts at this point and just splashed on the GPU.

Problem is that the 2080 is not being recognised on the motherboard (MSI Z97-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard) which is supposed to be compatible. The card is being powered as the lights on the card are on.
My PSU (Fractal Design Integra M 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply) should have enough wattage to cover the components

• I've ensured that the motherboard has the latest bios
  • I've had the 970 in the slot to ensure that the slot works
  • I've used both in the second slot and it's still not working
I've not got more than the 2 8x power cables, does the extra 6 pin power connector required?

Does anyone know why it wouldn't be being recognised?
I believe my issue is most definitely incompatible RAM. It will work for a little bit then it either freezes, or wont boot after a shut down.
Good luck! any insight would be helpful.

btw are you using just the 2x8 pins or are you using 2x8 1x6 pins power for the card?
2x8. The RAM i am using is not listed on the compatible RAM list for the Tomahawk B450. I just ordered
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600
should be in by the end of the week. Will try installing this weekend and seeing whats up. Otherwise it has to be my motherboard. I have already filed for online support through MSI to see what they have to say. Listed my symptoms, and all my parts inside.