[SOLVED] MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X Fan issues

Mar 1, 2020
Hey Guys,

so I just bought an MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X via Ebay a Week ago. Whenever I start a game the game crashes even before I reach the main menu (Fallout 4, Anno 1800, Total War Shogun, Attila, Medieval II, Cities Skylines etc.) because the card is overheating. I get a greenscreen and the PC restarts after a few seconds. When restarted the monitor stays black. Only when i restart manually the monitor works again. So my current diagnostics are, that the fans just won´t start spinning at all when the card gets hot. BUT only while gaming. When I use benchmark Software (Userbenchmark, 3DMark) everything works fine oO. Also when installing Adrenalin for the first time i could deactivate the 0rpm mode in the performance section. that worked but when restarting the PC the fans dont spin, AND when trying to start Adrenalin i get a greenscreen and the PC restarts. This is just so random....

I tried to manipulate the fan curve in Adrenalin, didnt work, I installed the drivers without the software, still doesnt help, I set a custom fan curve in MSI Afterburner, nothing happens. Even when i set the fans manually to 100% they still rest, so MSI Afterburner, doesnt do anything.

I really tried to find a solution to this but now i am out of ideas... I searched the heck out of Google but nothing out there fixed my issue.

Fun fact: Before updating to 20.2.2 I had the same issue but in reverse. When gaming the fans worked, when benchmarking they didnt. (wth?)

Kudos and kisses for any help. :*

Dont hurt my feelings because of my grammar, I`am german.

My Setup:

MSI B450m Mortar Titanium (also have an ASRock Z270m extreme4. Same issues)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X Driver Version: 20.2.2
Mars Gaming MPB750 750W PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)

Solution
[/QUOTE]
I did like 5 Fresh reinstalls of Windows since I have the card. :/

Yeah I would just return it at this point. You got it from ebay and they have pretty good buyer protection. If you are still interested in getting a 5700xt I would get a different brand, and avoid the ASUS Strix as well. Gigabyte has always treated me well regardless of AMD or INVIDA

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Before installing the card did you DDU your old drivers? When you did the driver only install did you use the software, or did you unpack the drivers with 7zip and install it through device manager? From what I understand people that are having black screen and crash issues have the most stability with driver 19.10.2. I used this driver/software package and had fan issues. Then I did a driver only install and I was able to use Aorus Engine to control the fans without issue. But now I'm using 20.1.3 with all the software and I'm not having issues, and I can use MSIAB.

Reactions: Chukhan
Mar 1, 2020
Before installing the card did you DDU your old drivers? When you did the driver only install did you use the software, or did you unpack the drivers with 7zip and install it through device manager? From what I understand people that are having black screen and crash issues have the most stability with driver 19.10.2. I used this driver/software package and had fan issues. Then I did a driver only install and I was able to use Aorus Engine to control the fans without issue. But now I'm using 20.1.3 with all the software and I'm not having issues, and I can use MSIAB.

Hi M3rkn,

Thank you for your answer. Yes I use DDU Cleaner before every install and run it in safe mode. And i use the device Manager to install the drivers without Software. Unpacked via Software, not 7 zip.

I am gonna try to find all the old drivers and look if i can find one which is stable for me.

Mar 1, 2020
You are on 20.2.2 right now, give 20.1.3 a try

here is a link to all the previous drivers
https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...d-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

and your English is perfect 👍

could find 20.1.3 on that link. Tried 20.1.4 didnt work. But 20.1.2 did it. At least Afterburner and Time Spy DX12 worked. Gonna try some Gaming now. Thanks men, you are saving my week. was worried, that my card had some hardware issues, as all the other fixes you find on the Internet didnt help me. =)

Mar 1, 2020
Crashed with every game i started even before loading the saves with 20.1.2.

Seems like MSI Afterburner and Riva made them crash. After uninstalling Afterburner and Riva every Game worked fine.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would also be a bit leery of the PSU. It's got a high wattage rating, but I'm not sure if it's of particularly good quality.

The first link in my sig offers a guide to power supplies - but depending on your location, availability may be problematic.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
Crashed with every game i started even before loading the saves with 20.1.2.

Seems like MSI Afterburner and Riva made them crash. After uninstalling Afterburner and Riva every Game worked fine.
I had issues with riva and msi, whenever I had radeon software and MSI running at the same time the monitor would flicker, but this was with the old drivers. This time did you do a full AMD install or driver only?

Since your games run without msi installed then we know there is conflict between radeon software and MSIAB.

here is the link for the driver I am currently using

https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...d-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020
I still just installed the driver via Windows device manager. If i git the spare time ill try to install it together with Adrenalin and see if it still works.

But honestly i think that it would be too easy if it would just be a conflict with other programs. As there have been many other solutions in the Internet i gues, that is more of a conflict combined of Hardware and Software Setup.

Mar 1, 2020
I had issues with riva and msi, whenever I had radeon software and MSI running at the same time the monitor would flicker, but this was with the old drivers. This time did you do a full AMD install or driver only?

Since your games run without msi installed then we know there is conflict between radeon software and MSIAB.

here is the link for the driver I am currently using

https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...d-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

Thanks for the link, gonna try that version when I recognize any problems again.

Never touch a running system, right? 😁

Mar 1, 2020
I would also be a bit leery of the PSU. It's got a high wattage rating, but I'm not sure if it's of particularly good quality.

The first link in my sig offers a guide to power supplies - but depending on your location, availability may be problematic.

Do you really think, that the PSU could cause such crashes?

Mar 1, 2020
Did it cause your crashes? I'm not sure, but it could have contributed.

Can low-quality PSUs cause such crashes? Absolutely, and they can also cause worse problems.

Will this PSU eventually cause you problems? I believe it is very likely.

Thank you for your answer. Gonna contemplate that when i still suffer problems.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm given to understand that the latest drivers fix a lot of the issues people have had with Navi cards.

But, I thought previously that the crashes stopped. That they haven't makes me more suspicious about the PSU than I was before.

Still, grab the latest drivers and try them out first. I think they just came out in the past week or so.

Reactions: Chukhan and M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
I'm given to understand that the latest drivers fix a lot of the issues people have had with Navi cards.

But, I thought previously that the crashes stopped. That they haven't makes me more suspicious about the PSU than I was before.

Still, grab the latest drivers and try them out first. I think they just came out in the past week or so.
I am not one to crap on others components, but that PSU is rated at 85 Bronze. I didn't even know there was an 85 rating so I am also pretty suspicious of the PSU.

Correction there is no bronze on the rating. It just says 85 Plus and the sticker seems to be the color bronze.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I am not one to crap on others components, but that PSU is rated at 85 Bronze. I didn't even know there was an 85 rating so I am also pretty suspicious of the PSU.

Correction there is no bronze on the rating. It just says 85 Plus and the sticker seems to be the color bronze.

If that's what it says on the sticker for the OP's PSU, then it's definitely something I would not be comfortable using - particularly that the manufacturer deliberately trying to mislead people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus#Misleading_power_supply_advertising
There have been instances where companies claim or imply that their supplies are 80 Plus when they have not been certified, and in some cases do not meet the requirements. When a company resells an OEM power supply under a new name it must be certified under the new name and company, even if the OEM supply is certified. In some instances, a reseller has claimed a higher wattage than the supply can deliver – in which case, the reseller's supply would not meet 80 Plus requirements. The 80 Plus website has a list of all certified supplies, so it is possible to confirm that a supply really meets the requirements.

Although some power supply manufacturers name their products with similar names, such as "85 Plus", "90 Plus" and "95 Plus" there is no such official certification or standard.

Regardless of any other considerations, I would change that PSU as soon as possible. See the first link in my sig for a good guide at picking a high-quality PSU.

EDIT: I did see a short unboxing video that had the valid-looking 80 Plus Bronze sticker, and this page on the 80plus site seems to confirm it. Maybe there was an older version where they were being shady, and the newer ones were officially certified.

Either way, that only speaks to power efficiency, not to the quality and reliability of the PSU to deliver power cleanly.

I haven't been able to find any solid information. I would abide by this:

If you cannot find an IN DEPTH, REPUTABLE review on Tom's hardware, JonnyGuru, HardOCP, Hardware secrets (Old reviews by Gabe Torres), Kitguru (Only Aris reviews), TechPowerUP, SilentPC crew or a similar site that does much more than simply a review of the unboxing and basic tests that don't include reliable results for ripple, noise, voltage regulation and a complete teardown of the unit including identification of the internal platform, then the unit is a big fat question mark. It is best to avoid question marks when it comes to your hard earned dollars, whenever possible.

Any which way, though, it wouldn't hurt to first try the new drivers. But I would still replace that PSU.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020
by any chance does your CPU have an overckock, or is it stock?

No the CPU is Stock. Never Overclocked.

If that's what it says on the sticker for the OP's PSU, then it's definitely something I would not be comfortable using - particularly that the manufacturer deliberately trying to mislead people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus#Misleading_power_supply_advertising

Regardless of any other considerations, I would change that PSU as soon as possible. See the first link in my sig for a good guide at picking a high-quality PSU.

EDIT: I did see a short unboxing video that had the valid-looking 80 Plus Bronze sticker, and this page on the 80plus site seems to confirm it. Maybe there was an older version where they were being shady, and the newer ones were officially certified.

Either way, that only speaks to power efficiency, not to the quality and reliability of the PSU to deliver power cleanly.

I haven't been able to find any solid information. I would abide by this:

Any which way, though, it wouldn't hurt to first try the new drivers. But I would still replace that PSU.

Well i bought that one from Amazon. It was a pretty unthought first grab. I have an Corsair SF600 Gold still laying around from a former ITX project. Should be enough, shouldn't it?

Also a small update to the drivers: just tried 20.2.2 again. Works suddenly fine... TimeSpy, Firestrike, Userbenchmark and everygame i have installed worked. 0rpm mode worked too. When heating up the fans started automatically... Like seriously im loosing my mind... 🙄 Why is it working now??! And why was 20.1.2 working but then 1 day later the System started crashing again without any changes... This is so frustrating...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The SF600 from what I've read is a good PSU, and even though everything is working now, I would very strongly recommend using that instead of the Mars Gaming power supply. I do not trust the Mars Gaming.

As to why things are all working - well, let's see how it goes for a few days. I'm a little confused, though, because AMD's site is showing that 20.2.2 was released today (??!) and that can't be right. As insane as this sounds, I'm tempted to say to download the drivers again directly from AMD, use DDU to uninstall what you have now, then install the new copy of 20.2.2.

Also, and I know I'm repeating myself, PLEASE remove the Mars Gaming and install the SF600 PSU!

And, give it a few days, and see what happens.

Mar 1, 2020
Also, and I know I'm repeating myself, PLEASE remove the Mars Gaming and install the SF600 PSU!

Love your emotional participation. 😂❤️
Gonna change the PSU, i promise. Just need to find a mounting bracket, as it is a SFX Formfactor and i am currently using an matx chassis which fits only normal size PSUs.

Didn't DDU clean this time when installing 20.2.2. Also what i forgot: I also didn't use the quick setup from Adrenalin were you can choose between Gaming, eSports and Office. And Afterburner and Riva aren't installed.

Writing so detailed in hope to help someone else with the same problems.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Love your emotional participation. 😂❤

Thanks - after having learned myself in the past 2 years (by reading up, thankfully didn't experience any PSU disasters myself), and seeing a few videos of what can happen with a poor-quality PSU, I just really don't ever want to see someone's motherboard, CPU, videocard, or anything else, get damaged/destroyed by a bad PSU. Good PSUs are a little pricey, but the best insurance to protect everything else.

Mar 1, 2020
Thanks - after having learned myself in the past 2 years (by reading up, thankfully didn't experience any PSU disasters myself), and seeing a few videos of what can happen with a poor-quality PSU, I just really don't ever want to see someone's motherboard, CPU, videocard, or anything else, get damaged/destroyed by a bad PSU. Good PSUs are a little pricey, but the best insurance to protect everything else.

DUUUUDE! Believe it or not, it was the PSU! Even after changing the drivers, i still randomly got some crashes. Now after mounting the New PSU everything works fine. Since a week now no crashes. I let a friend of mine, who is an Electrician, check the PSU and he just discovered that the PSU wasn't able to cover Peak Energy requests from my System. Even that the PSU had 750 W Power output... Never thought that the fault could be there...

Don't know if anybody still cares but had to write this. 😅

Reactions: King_V and M3rKn

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
DUUUUDE! Believe it or not, it was the PSU! Even after changing the drivers, i still randomly got some crashes. Now after mounting the New PSU everything works fine. Since a week now no crashes. I let a friend of mine, who is an Electrician, check the PSU and he just discovered that the PSU wasn't able to cover Peak Energy requests from my System. Even that the PSU had 750 W Power output... Never thought that the fault could be there...

Don't know if anybody still cares but had to write this. 😅
haha

If you read any of the other threads, the first thing anyone else ever says is the PSU is the problem. This is the first time I have seen that someone has come back and confirmed it was the damn PSU ROFL.

Glad its all working out for you buddy.