[SOLVED] MSI Tomahawk B450 Max - No SATA Drives Detected

Aug 22, 2020
Morning all,

I've had my B450 Tomahawk Max for almost a year and have always had some issues with it recognizing 1 SSD and 1 HDD plugged into the SATA ports.

Just moved internationally (security loved that bag) and I have rebuilt the computer and now it won't detect either of the 2 drives plugged into the SATA ports. I've been trouble shooting it for days now to no avail. Seems like others have had similar issues with this MOBO as well, but never no clear answers were ever posted

Specs:
MOBO: MSI Tomahwak B450 Max (latest BIOS and drivers installed)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM 16 GB DDR4 3000
PSU: 650W
GPU: AMD Radeon 590 XFX Fatboy
SoundCard: SoundBlaster Audigy FX

I have an m.2 Card installed with the OS loaded on it. That is the only drive being recognized and the OS boots fine (writing this post from it). Neither the SSD or HHD show up as detected in the BIOS or in Windows Explorer. These drives were working fine 5 days ago and were packed in bubble wrap and not subjected to any shocks or drops.

I've tried:
  • changing SATA cables
  • changing SATA ports (ports 5 and 6 are disabled when M2 card installed)
  • I've ensured all drives are receiving power
  • connecting the drives via a SATA-USB interface
    • Neither drive shows up in Windows Explorer
    • Tried using this on a different computer and while it beeps (recognizing a device has been plugged in) neither drive shows up in Windows Explorer
  • connecting a different (a friend's SSD) directly to the MOBO via different SATA ports and using the SATA-USB interface
    • Does not show up in either the BIOS or Windows Explorer
At my wit's end here and about to just source a new MOBO. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
Were you able to get this sorted? Im having the same problem now same mother board. I even tried a drive from my laptop that i know darn well works and it isnt showing up in bios either.
It was solved in a different thread after I changed the motherboard (hence a separate post). Motherboard wasn't the problem. I ended up being unlucky and having 4 bad drives.
Aug 22, 2020
Have you tried resetting CMOS?
Thanks for the response. Yes, I reset the CMOS this afternoon. However, I then had to flash it using USB M-Flash to more recent drivers as the MOBO doesn't support my CPU natively.

This issue originated when using circa 2019 Mobo drivers (although it worked fine 5 days ago) and persisted after updating to latest drivers. Somehow between disconnecting everything and reconnecting, the Mobo now won't recognize the disks.

Sep 14, 2020
Thanks for the response. Yes, I reset the CMOS this afternoon. However, I then had to flash it using USB M-Flash to more recent drivers as the MOBO doesn't support my CPU natively.

This issue originated when using circa 2019 Mobo drivers (although it worked fine 5 days ago) and persisted after updating to latest drivers. Somehow between disconnecting everything and reconnecting, the Mobo now won't recognize the disks.
Were you able to get this sorted? Im having the same problem now same mother board. I even tried a drive from my laptop that i know darn well works and it isnt showing up in bios either.

Aug 22, 2020
It was solved in a different thread after I changed the motherboard (hence a separate post). Motherboard wasn't the problem. I ended up being unlucky and having 4 bad drives.

Solution