BlackBurn98

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Hey guys. I'm in a bit of a bad situation right now. I think my PC just died and that too all of a sudden and pretty strangely. So here's what happened.

I built this PC back in December of 2017. Everything was smooth except for when the RGB LEDs on the motherboard died around 6 months later. Didn't bother me but looking back, I should have claimed the warranty while I could.

Anyways, today I was working and everything was running fine when I had to leave for about 15 mins. Like I normally would, I pressed the power button on my case to put the system on sleep but it didn't go to sleep. It did nothing. I thought it must be some glitch or bug so I decided to restart the PC and left thinking it would have powered back on when I returned. When I got back, the keyboard and mouse were turned off and there was no display however the PC was on all the LEDs were lit. I tried pressing buttons on the keyboard and mouse but it just wouldn't power on. I pressed the power button but nothing happened. I pressed the reset button but again nothing happened. I pressed and hold the power button for 10-15s but nothing happened. I decided to cut the main power and now it just won't power on at all. No LEDs no nothing as if it's completely dead.

The first thing that came to mind was that the power button must be broken so I jumped the Power SW pins and nothing happened. I disconnected the PSU and tried jumping the green wire with a black ground wire and expected it to be dead but to my surprise, the fan started spinning so I think the PSU is working.

Please help! I don't know what to do.

System Specs:
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
AMD Ryzen 1700X
Gigabyte GTX 1080
Corsair Value Select DDR4 8GB (x2)
Corsair VS650 PSU

BlackBurn98

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
fan don't need much, try a better psu
I can definitely buy a better PSU just wouldn't gamble on one like what if it's the motherboard that's dead? I have a confirmed working Corsair VS550 laying around. Shall I try that with just the motherboard? If it works I can upgrade to something like the Corsair CX750. Is that a better PSU?

Edit: The best upgrade I can do with the budget I have is the "FSP Hydro G HG850" or "Antec High Current Gamer Gold Series HCG850". Any suggestions?

Last edited:

BlackBurn98

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
fan don't need much, try a better psu

Just tried a known good PSU (Corsair VS550) and only plugged the 24 pin connector and the CPU connector. Nothing happened. No fans, no lights, nothing.

However I did notice something. While the PSU is completely disconnected with the PSU switch off and I connect the power cord in, it stays silent. But when the PSU is connected to the motherboard and also PSU is switched off and I plug the power cord in, I hear some sort of sparks or electricity sound coming from the PSU.

Any input is much appreciated. Thank you.

BlackBurn98

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Any solution? Kind of depending on you guys here. I don't have repair shops anywhere near me and if there are, they wouldn't know that AMD even exists. Any input would be much, much appreciated. Anything is better than nothing.

Thanks!

BlackBurn98

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Judging by how my PC was working perfectly fine and it just wouldn't recognize the power button input to go to sleep, I'm thinking my motherboard has some sort of issue with the header pins? Just a thought. If that is the case, the motherboard wouldn't turn on no matter what I do unless if there's another way of powering it on by bypassing the header pins?

BlackBurn98

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Go for a Corsair RM650 PSU to replace that VS with.

Despite being Corsair, the VS series is a fairly low quality purchase.

Noted. Thanks for the suggestion! However, I tried booting up with a known good PSU but the same problem occured. I posted an update above as to what might be the problem, any input on that?