Sep 13, 2023
Ok, so.

I bought, from Ebay recently, an MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard and an i7 CPU. CPU was already seated and I have not unseated it at any point.

Advertised as working fine etc.

So, i got a new cooler and installed that with good thermal paste. New memory too. Mounted it in a case and booted it up, worked fine and loads into BIOS. Set up memory, updated BIOS, added graphics card and all totally fine. CPU temps ok.

The problem I have is when I plug in a drive. As soon as the SATA power cable is connected, it wont post. I get one LED flash on the EZ Debug LED and it shuts down. Even pressing power button again does nothing. Have to let it sit for a while with power off to power supply.

Things I have tried are:

1. Only one stick of memory
  2. No graphics card
  3. Different drives
  4. Different PSU
  5. Different cables (even as far as the kettle lead)
  6. Different connection points on PSU's
  7. Taking off cooler and installing again with new paste
  8. Taking motherboard out of case and sitting it on a tea towel and running it totally bare (incase something was shorting)
I cannot see what else I can do, so has to either be fault with CPU or board. If power is disconnected to drive, with cable still in PSU, it runs fine. But connecting a device and powering it up stops it posting.

Has anyone else had this issue or seen anything like it?

Am really struggling now and may end up assuming components are faulty somehow and trying to return them.

Cheers

Paul

Ok, so.

I bought, from Ebay recently, an MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard and an i7 CPU. CPU was already seated and I have not unseated it at any point.

Advertised as working fine etc.

So, i got a new cooler and installed that with good thermal paste. New memory too. Mounted it in a case and booted it up, worked fine and loads into BIOS. Set up memory, updated BIOS, added graphics card and all totally fine. CPU temps ok.

The problem I have is when I plug in a drive. As soon as the SATA power cable is connected, it wont post. I get one LED flash on the EZ Debug LED and it shuts down. Even pressing power button again does nothing. Have to let it sit for a while with power off to power supply.

Things I have tried are:

1. Only one stick of memory
  2. No graphics card
  3. Different drives
  4. Different PSU
  5. Different cables (even as far as the kettle lead)
  6. Different connection points on PSU's
  7. Taking off cooler and installing again with new paste
  8. Taking motherboard out of case and sitting it on a tea towel and running it totally bare (incase something was shorting)
I cannot see what else I can do, so has to either be fault with CPU or board. If power is disconnected to drive, with cable still in PSU, it runs fine. But connecting a device and powering it up stops it posting.

Has anyone else had this issue or seen anything like it?

Am really struggling now and may end up assuming components are faulty somehow and trying to return them.

Cheers

Paul
How strong is your PSU?

What's the exact model of your motherboard? I want to look at the specs of it and see something that might be causing it.

Sep 13, 2023
How strong is your PSU?

What's the exact model of your motherboard? I want to look at the specs of it and see something that might be causing it.

I have two PSU's. A Novatach Power Station 750 Black Edition.

Also, I am using a EVGA Supernova 750 G3.

Same issue for both.

Motherboard is a Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon.

Memory is brand new Vengence LPX 8GB sticks.

I have two PSU's. A Novatach Power Station 750 Black Edition.

Also, I am using a EVGA Supernova 750 G3.

Same issue for both.

Motherboard is a Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon.

Memory is brand new Vengence LPX 8GB sticks.
You may have already mentioned this but have you tried resetting the BIOS back to factory? Just in case it was OCed before you purchased it, it could be something throwing the SATA power rail for a loop and that be causing it to freak out when a drive is connected to it (seeing as to how you've replaced everything you could including cables and drives).

Sep 13, 2023
Today I had another go. Had an older power supply (OCZ780MXS) and gave that a go.

Ran ok as others did, but oddly when I connected the S-ATA power cable it posted, but I did notice a very small puff of smoke from the power connector to the SSD. So I shut it down. Tried a HDD and that seemed ok though never spun up at all.

Connected SATA data cable and didnt see any of them either.

The EVGA PSU is about 6 years old, I only stopped using it as my new PC had a bigger PSU fitted when I built it, so has been boxed since then.

Also tried taking CPU cooler off and bracketry incase it was shorting, then putting cooler back on by just sitting on top of CPU. Runs fine, but not when power is connected to a drive. Temps fine etc.

Have run out of ideas, so has to be faulty equipment I bought....

When I built the PC to start with, I used the EVGA (good) PSU first, so dont see PSU as being the issue.